2 gyre setup recommendation

Christian_Parent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal 4 X 2 X 2.

I actualy have a Maxspect Gyre XF 250 connectes to an Icecap module and controlled by an apex.

I have ordered a second XF 250 with the advanced controller.

My actual Gyre is in the horizontal position, on the right glass about 4 inches from the top.

What I would like to know is what users of those have adopted has positioning of 2 and which water movement setup ?

Also, is it possible to control it with the apex or does it has to go througth the advanced controller ?

Thank you

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine, mounted horizontally, on opposite ends of the tank. I originally had them set to the Lunar Tide Cycle (LTC) preset but have sense moved to the offset opposing sync mode with a time of 20 seconds via the Advanced Controller.

I have an Apex but haven't justified yet buying two Icecap modules to run them.

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 120g mixed reef with 2 of the 230 pump and the advanced controller. one on each side horizontal. I have them low enough so that way when I turn my return pump off they are still under the water line when the water drains down. I run them on the oceanic gyre cycle 30% max output, which may be on the low side of power but everything is happy and growing so I haven't increased it. I have the apex but haven't felt the need to put them onto it.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 x XF250 both mounted horizontally on opposite ends of a 4' tank. I run the OGC cycle at 40% power through the advanced controller and have found no need to use any of my apex functionality with them beyond having them shut down during maintenance mode and certain feed cycles. At 40% they are very quiet and I get a ton of water movement and my sand pretty much stays put (it mounds up in certain locations but no bare spots).

U

User1

View Badges
If you want to control it via the Apex you will need a 2nd icecap module. Personal opinion here but I dislike the requirement for a dedicated and matching icecap module for each gyre you want to control. Flawed design regardless of how they sell it. This is a flaw in our hobby that isn't just unique to Neptune. Everyone has their own app, controller, or dongle. If I'm buying a controller I'd like to have a standard be it a break out box or other to have a single presentation layer to control, report, and notify... I know it is a rant but having an Apex and a pair of XF250's this boggles my mind to this day. Yet with my Reef Angel and Jeaboe's + cheap adapter cable I could great any form of wave, sync, anti-sync, tides, et all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back