Gyre size recommendations.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

Currently I am working on gathering equipment for my new build. The tank in question is a 90 gallon Aqueon tank with the overflow offset from center. Once running it will be a mixed reef tank. The return pump is a waveline 12000 dc with a y'd locline return nozzle.

I already have one Icecap 2k gyre and I am doubtful that this will be enough flow. So my question is do you guys think that one 2k gyre will provide sufficient flow in conjunction with the return, or should I add another gyre? If I should add another gyre, should I go with the 2k or 4k from Icecap? I am only set on the Icecap brand at this point because I already have the dual pump controller.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

Currently I am working on gathering equipment for my new build. The tank in question is a 90 gallon Aqueon tank with the overflow offset from center. Once running it will be a mixed reef tank. The return pump is a waveline 12000 dc with a y'd locline return nozzle.

I already have one Icecap 2k gyre and I am doubtful that this will be enough flow. So my question is do you guys think that one 2k gyre will provide sufficient flow in conjunction with the return, or should I add another gyre? If I should add another gyre, should I go with the 2k or 4k from Icecap? I am only set on the Icecap brand at this point because I already have the dual pump controller.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Start with what you have- you can always tailor the flow down the line when corals go in. And if you want another gyre, buy another 2k.

Remember, you can mix and match types of powerheads to get the best flow for the tank you try to set up! It depends very much on the livestock you put in there, and the placement!

More smaller powerheads may be better than one or two large ones.

Start building and adding coral. Buy another powerhead if you need one- otherwise spend the money on livestock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back