Best Gyre Setting for opposing gyres?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Maxspect 330 cloud gyres on each side panel of my tank. I’m having a lot of connectivity issues so I prefer to just keep the settings simple and use the settings I can set directly on the controller rather than using the advanced programming on the app. I also have MP40s on back wall in reef crest and my tank is planned for SPS dominate.

I’m having a hard time deciding on what settings are best for the opposing gyres. Right now I have them on 6 second pulses. I’m not sure if I should run them in time delayed or anti sync. My understanding of antisync is that only 1 runs at a time so there will be no turbulence in the tank. If I run time delayed will that cause turbulent flow and the area of impact of the two gyres to move around the tank? Is there a better setting for this?

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if one will be better than another, but I do know that the coral will probably do fine either way. SPS like a lot of chaotic water movement, but also, not every SPS coral is at the top of the reef crest getting slammed by waves all day. There are plenty that live in zones with less turbulence.

If the tank is set up, you can do what I do and try different settings and track how the water flows around the various structure in your tank. You’re going to have soft spots in there, and spots that have a good rip going over them. Find a setting that gives you what you’re looking for, and add coral to those zones accordingly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back