2 or 3 tangs?

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170 I want to get a tang I have my heart set on a naso but my wife wants a purple and a yellow could all 3 get along if not what would be better naso and yellow or naso and purple?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, all three would be fine in a tank that size. I would get them young, add all three at the same time and try to match size to minimize aggression. Be warned though, that naso is going to get huge. I'm sure you will get better advice soon.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso tangs get really big. I would say a 170 could handle a baby to juvenile and maybe sub-adult. The other two should be okay if they are young when you add them and do so at the same time. Could be issues when full adults though.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso's are giant, we have one at our aquarium and it was slow so I was walking around the salt water where I'm stationed. I could hug that Naso tang and struggle to fully wrap around it.
Three would be fine though

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done had all 3 at the same time with no issues. My purple and yellow have been in my current system for almost 4 years now. A few years ago I rehomed the naso and added an Assasi trigger and Sargassum trigger. Then after a few more months I rehomed a gold spot rabbit that was getting large and added a Clown trigger and a few months later I added a baby Blueline trigger and NO they don’t bother any of my corals or inverts. I had to get rid of some fish to be able to add the triggers. If it were me I would get the purple and yellow tangs and add them together.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the naso last, the other 2 will ignore him, atleast that is my experience. The yellow and purple I would add at the same time before one takes over the tank a second his whole territory. The naso will not pose a threat to the others.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since purple and yellow are same genus I would think they would be most likely to fight of the bunch. Yellow eyed kole tang might be a good alternative to the purple if you are not dead set on that particular fish. Beautiful fish that have can have vibrant purple color depending of the individual.

In my 210 I have lots of tangs, blonde naso, hippo tang, Atlantic blue, yellow, yellow eyed kole tang, pair of convicts. No issues except the convicts squabble with one another.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yellow, Sailfin, Purple, Naso. The Naso was added last. the Yellow is the jerk of the bunch and will chase the smaller purple guy off sometimes at Nori time. its more of a warning and ive never seen it get serious. yellow also sometimes likes to aggravate the Sailfin who is his same size. the sailfin has none of it and tells him who is boss. Naso just cruises around like there is nobody else in the tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back