2 Part Balling + Kalk and Dosing Scheduling -

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I asked this question in the following thread, likely wasn't the right spot, please delete if need be. I adjusted it a tad: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...e-during-the-day.1006772/page-3#post-11804572

As the title says. I would like to consider dosing kalk for 8 hours and then dose 2 part the rest of the day. I am also curious about scheduling my 2 part, or adjusting it and likely an operator situation with my DOS. Here goes:

I am currently dosing 120 ML of 2 part 24/7 (Part C is x2 of that). I would like to start dosing kalk over night to stabilize my PH (see graphs below). So, if 50ML of BRS 2 part alk is equal to 2.3 liters of lime water...

1) If I wanted to start dosing kalk over night in place of some of my 2 part, should I start with 33% of my 24 hour dosing amount (8 hours) for 2 part and convert that amount to kalk to start dosing over a 8 hour lights out period? So, 39.6 ML of my BRS 2 part would be 1,821.6 ML of kalk. If I tell my DOS unit to dose 1,821 ml over that 8 hour period, it will dose 39 - 46.7 ML doses. Does this sound right? Is there a way to tell my DOS to drip constantly for x amount of minutes then pause for x amount of minutes and start again? I feel like it is operator error.

2) As it relates to standard 2 part dosing schedules. I currently dose alk on even hours in equal amounts and cal on odd hours. in equal amounts. Can I simply spread both out over the entire day (similar to the kalk scheduling example) and not worry about those dosing too closely together?

This is what my DOS shows that 33% of kalk spread over 8 hours would look like:
1696302496819.png

Current PH trends:
1696287771833.png

Attachments​

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I should add, that it dawned on me that I can only put an amount of kalk that is either equal to or less than what my ATO would replace evaporation with in a 24 hour period. I would likely put less to allow for fluctuations. I am in the process of determining what my consumption rate is. Perhaps 75% of evaporation rate? Or is there a set amount people run with? And, I could be way out in left field with this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, that it dawned on me that I can only put an amount of kalk that is either equal to or less than what my ATO would replace evaporation with in a 24 hour period. I would likely put less to allow for fluctuations. I am in the process of determining what my consumption rate is. Perhaps 75% of evaporation rate? Or is there a set amount people run with? And, I could be way out in left field with this.

Somewhat less than evaporation is a fine plan.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back