2-part dosing question

J-BRoS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to dose RO/DI water with 2-part system that will be used in an ATO. I only want to treat the amount water that will used in the ATO.

Will this work?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't that be the same as mixing both solution together?
which isn't recommended as they are supposed to be dosed separately.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it with two separate tubs but you could do the Alkalinity part via dosing with your topoff and then just add the calcium part once or twice weekly manually depending on your requirements.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be better off mixing kalkwasser into your ATO water. Alk and calcium all in one. The problem I had when doing that is when the humidity is low and the tank evaporated more water and more ATO solution was being added, I would see alk levels go up. If your tank uses the same amount of top off water all the time then kalk is the way to go.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be better off mixing kalkwasser into your ATO water. Alk and calcium all in one. The problem I had when doing that is when the humidity is low and the tank evaporated more water and more ATO solution was being added, I would see alk levels go up. If your tank uses the same amount of top off water all the time then kalk is the way to go.
This is very true if the ato has to replenish a lot of water due to evaporation your levels may get out of balance. You are better off using a dosing pump where you can add small amounts of additives throughout the day to keep levels stable. With most pumps they will add these at different intervals to prevent them from mixing at the same time.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started off using kalk and had to move on. I couldnt get it concentrated enough in the amount of water I was adding daily even with vinegar. It didnt come close to the amount of Calcium carbonate I needed for the tank. With 2 dosing tubs I am able to add the exact amount of calcium and carbonate that is needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back