2 part dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing Seachem Fusion 2 and am currently dosing more Alk Than calcium at a rate of 1.5:1

Seachem Reef Fusion is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-ionic 2 part.

B-ionic is an excellent choice, and you are dosing just under 1 dKH of alk per day, which is typical of a lightly stocked tank.

AdamH300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, I am new to dosing 2 part, and I am using the B-ionic 2 part in my 220 gallon tank that is mixed, but heavier on lps. I am planning on adding more sps with time. After reading many of your comments on 2 part dosing, I’m afraid I may be doing it wrong with a long term that will create issues. I have been reducing the amount of calc I am dosing down to almost non-existence. What would your recommendation be for me here?
F4C3CEF7-E338-439E-941D-38401503CBE8.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, I am new to dosing 2 part, and I am using the B-ionic 2 part in my 220 gallon tank that is mixed, but heavier on lps. I am planning on adding more sps with time. After reading many of your comments on 2 part dosing, I’m afraid I may be doing it wrong with a long term that will create issues. I have been reducing the amount of calc I am dosing down to almost non-existence. What would your recommendation be for me here?
F4C3CEF7-E338-439E-941D-38401503CBE8.jpeg

It is fine to reduce the calcium part if calcium is too high (507 ppm is fine, IMO).

But I'd check why it may be high, which may have little to do with B-ionic. Is your salinity high? is your salt mix one with high calcium?

AdamH300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine to reduce the calcium part if calcium is too high (507 ppm is fine, IMO).

But I'd check why it may be high, which may have little to do with B-ionic. Is your salinity high? is your salt mix one with high calcium?
My salinity is 1.025, I use IO reef crystals. I am currently doing a 2.5 gallon per day automatic water change

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.025, I use IO reef crystals. I am currently doing a 2.5 gallon per day automatic water change

Have you used that calcium kit on your new salt water?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-ionic is an excellent choice, and you are dosing just under 1 dKH of alk per day, which is typical of a lightly stocked tank.
Hey Randy et al.,

Is my meta-synthesis on this compelling topic relatively accurate with respect to these products:

#1. ESV B-ionic. Relatively inexpensive; 2 pre-made dosing solutions; trace elements incorporated; no magnesium so would have to dose every week+ or so accordingly; minor problem with sodium and chloride salt drift over time largely mitigated by water changes; proven track record.

#2. BRS / Tropic Marin Hybrid Balling methods. Lots of bottles! 3 dosing solutions combining powders and liquids; trace elements covered; no magnesium (?) - so dosed separately; mitigates Na+ and Cl- increase over time.

#3. ATI essentials. More expensive than ESV B-Ionic with the perk of magnesium; otherwise, similar.

Lingering inquiries from the above:
A. Do the trace elements supplied by the products above differ significantly such that coral health is likely to be differentially impacted?

B. Is the functional increase in Na+ and Cl- over time significant enough to consider dosing Balling Component C with any 2-part plan?

My gut right now is to go with ESV-Bionic... or save $, make my own calcium and alkalinity solutions, and find a good trace element product (TBD which one - thoughts)?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy et al.,

Is my meta-synthesis on this compelling topic relatively accurate with respect to these products:

#1. ESV B-ionic. Relatively inexpensive; 2 pre-made dosing solutions; trace elements incorporated; no magnesium so would have to dose every week+ or so accordingly; minor problem with sodium and chloride salt drift over time largely mitigated by water changes; proven track record.

#2. BRS / Tropic Marin Hybrid Balling methods. Lots of bottles! 3 dosing solutions combining powders and liquids; trace elements covered; no magnesium (?) - so dosed separately; mitigates Na+ and Cl- increase over time.

#3. ATI essentials. More expensive than ESV B-Ionic with the perk of magnesium; otherwise, similar.

Lingering inquiries from the above:
A. Do the trace elements supplied by the products above differ significantly such that coral health is likely to be differentially impacted?

B. Is the functional increase in Na+ and Cl- over time significant enough to consider dosing Balling Component C with any 2-part plan?

My gut right now is to go with ESV-Bionic... or save $, make my own calcium and alkalinity solutions, and find a good trace element product (TBD which one - thoughts)?

Thanks

At the end of the day, #1 and #2 essentially add all or nearly all the same things at the same concentrations, and neither is useful as a trace element supplement, any more than a tiny water change is. They are not intended to supplement trace elements. Those elements are only there to offset the decline in them when the salinity is corrected back to normal. They are not designed to offset any consumption.

I do not know what exactly is put into ATI and what it hopes to accomplish.

I'd rank them as follows, leaving out ATI which I do not know ingredients:

1. My DIY (e.g., BRS) three part doses are directed. Cheapest, but not ionically complete.
2. DIY two part (no part 3) plus Balling part C probably cheaper and just as good as B-ionic and Full Balling
3. ESV B-ionic and Full Balling (best, most expensive).

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, #1 and #2 essentially add all or nearly all the same things at the same concentrations, and neither is useful as a trace element supplement, any more than a tiny water change is. They are not intended to supplement trace elements. Those elements are only there to offset the decline in them when the salinity is corrected back to normal. They are not designed to offset any consumption.

1. My DIY (e.g., BRS) three part doses are directed. Cheapest, but not ionically complete.
2. DIY two part (no part 3) plus Balling part C probably cheaper and just as good as B-ionic and Full Balling
Many thanks.

I made up some DIY 2 part (calcium and alkalinity) yesterday with another dosing container and head for magnesium (mg so4 and mgcl2).

In hindsight, I should probably replace magnesium automated dosing with tropic marine part c (for trace and magnesium) ... or just dose calcium hydroxide for background pH stability. My pH drops from 8.3 to 8.0 daily. What’s your gut on this decision @Randy Holmes-Farley... and where do I send the cheque .

At present, I do 2 water changes at 10% monthly using IO purple bucket.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy, I use ESV B-ionic. Just to be clear, by 'Full' Balling, do you mean just adding Tropic Marin Part C to follow #3 in this post?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I use ESV B-ionic. Just to be clear, by 'Full' Balling, do you mean just adding Tropic Marin Part C to follow #3 in this post?

Full Balling I mean Balling Parts A, B and C from Tropic Marin. I can't see it being different than DIY parts A and B (if quality materials) plus Tropic Marin part C.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Balling I mean Balling Parts A, B and C from Tropic Marin. I can't see it being different than DIY parts A and B (if quality materials) plus Tropic Marin part C.
Randy, I need to apologize. I now realize that I totally misunderstood your ‘B-ionic and full Balling’ statement. I wrongly thought that there was a method to dose both these options together as one (3part) dosing regiment. Obviously you were referring to B-ionic separately as one method and full Balling as another choice.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I need to apologize. I now realize that I totally misunderstood your ‘B-ionic and full Balling’ statement. I wrongly thought that there was a method to dose both these options together as one (3part) dosing regiment. Obviously you were referring to B-ionic separately as one method and full Balling as another choice.

Oh, sorry, should have made that clearer. :)

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try TM’s balling part C alongside Randy’s 2 part powder.

I want to keep my pH higher and stable and have a dosing head available. Sodium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide for this purpose? Thx

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back