2 Part Epoxy and Corals, long term relation?

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello here what I have:

103061821_619970432202528_7071590196169327412_o.jpg

It's a 2 part Epoxy and I would be curious for those who are "expert" in that domain.
I was thinking to "cook it" for a little time once I finish what I have to do, any though?

Thank you

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it goes in my oven where I cook everything I figure out the word would be cook :p hehe

Would high temperature simply liquefy the epoxy actually?
I assume when it's cure, it's rock solid but ... not sure?

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Convenient 2A:1B volume mix ratio
  • Low mixed viscosity of 3 300 cP
  • Extremely high compressive and tensile strength
  • Excellent adhesion to a wide variety of substrates including metals, composites, glass, ceramics, and many plastics
  • Excellent electrical insulating characteristics
  • Broad service temperature range -40 to 140 °C (-40 to 284 °F)
  • Extreme resistance to water and humidity (allows for submersion where needed)
  • Solvent-free

I sent a email to the company.
Honestly I really don't see anything that warn me it could be dangerous, it seem similar to a peanut butter container.

But I would love someone who tell me i'm wrong and why!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it goes in my oven where I cook everything I figure out the word would be cook :p hehe

Would high temperature simply liquefy the epoxy actually?
I assume when it's cure, it's rock solid but ... not sure?

OK, since you did literally mean cook, then no, I strongly advise against it. Unless the epoxy is designed for high temperatures, the organics in it can begin to degrade with heat and you may may it more likely to release organic molecules into the tank water, not less likely.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Convenient 2A:1B volume mix ratio
  • Low mixed viscosity of 3 300 cP
  • Extremely high compressive and tensile strength
  • Excellent adhesion to a wide variety of substrates including metals, composites, glass, ceramics, and many plastics
  • Excellent electrical insulating characteristics
  • Broad service temperature range -40 to 140 °C (-40 to 284 °F)
  • Extreme resistance to water and humidity (allows for submersion where needed)
  • Solvent-free

I sent a email to the company.
Honestly I really don't see anything that warn me it could be dangerous, it seem similar to a peanut butter container.

But I would love someone who tell me i'm wrong and why!

The company won't know anything about its suitability, and even adhesive chemists familiar with reef aquarium chemistry (such as myself; I used to work for an adhesive company) can only guess since none of these chemicals have been tested against all the organisms in your tank. There are plenty of chemicals in it, even before you make more by cooking it (lol). This is the data sheet for one part of that epoxy, showing some of the chemicals:

bisphenol A diglycidyl ether
(C12-14)alkylglycidyl ether
bisphenol A/ diglycidyl ether resin, liquid

I would definitely not add those to my reef aquarium.

But a cured epoxy won't contain much of these as they react into a larger polymer that will not readily dissolve.

Thus I expect it is OK and the leachables will be minimal after full curing.

Is that a 100% guarantee it is OK? No.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the bisphenol was the only thing that push me away from it.
I was thinking to "cure" it in saltwater bucket for a month.

It goes into a small aquarium, where i'm going to do massive water change time to time.

Reading the pdf file:
H411 Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
Liquid epoxy resins and some reactive diluents are not readily biodegradable, although its epoxy functional groups are hydrolysed in contact with water, they have the potential to bio-accumulate and are moderately toxic to aquatic organisms.
Uncured solid resins on the other hand are not readily bio-available, not toxic to aquatic and terrestrial organisms, not readily biodegradable, but hydrolysable.They present no significant hazard for the environment
. According to Environment Canada, 'initial assessment shows that at low levels, bisphenol A can harm fish and organisms over time
In general, studies have shown that bisphenol A can affect growth, reproduction and development in aquatic organisms. Among freshwater organisms, fish appear to be the most sensitive species. Evidence of endocrine-related effects in fish, aquatic invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles has been reported at environmentally relevant exposure levels lower than those required for acute toxicity. There is a widespread variation in reported values for endocrine-related effects, but many fall in the range of 1 ug/L to 1 mg/L

And there's also Ethyloxirane, anyways, enough reading on that PDF, thank you for bring me this.
I think I have my answer ;)

LET'S DO THIS!
not...

It pretty much summarises your answer also

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back