2 part question

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i know this question is asked alot about how alk and calc during a 2 part is not always the same dosed but...

I use BRS two part. I just added 8 new corals about a week or so ago. Well my question is why did the consumption of my alk rise while my calc decresed. I can see why my calc decreased because more corals mean more calcium and alk needed. But why did my alk not fall it actually rose? Can you give some info on how it works?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium either rose due to water change, or was test error.

Gauge the dose for both equally based on the alk demand. Just make minor tweaks to calcium up or down when it is getting too high or low (not when daily test kit variation jumps up and down). :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an ideal world you dose equal amounts of alk and calc. However, what throws a monkey wrench into this is the alk and calc levels in the salt you are using and the frequency of water changes. This is one of the reasons I don't use what I call super salts....salts with very high alk and calc numbers.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an ideal world you dose equal amounts of alk and calc. However, what throws a monkey wrench into this is the alk and calc levels in the salt you are using and the frequency of water changes. This is one of the reasons I don't use what I call super salts....salts with very high alk and calc numbers.
What do you use Mr. Redfishnluefish?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use Mr. Redfishnluefish?

Why Mr. SaltyFilmFolks, (deja vu The Taking of Pelham 123), I use good old plain Instant Ocean for my salt and DIY versions of Alk and Calc, vis-à-vis Dr. Randy's Recipe.....since 2008.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my question is why did the consumption of my alk rise while my calc decresed. ......But why did my alk not fall it actually rose? Can you give some info on how it works?

Now that I reread this carefully, I can't tell what you are saying. What rose and what fell? With or without dosing?

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont do water changes havent done them since I started the tank. If something bad happends I will do some or if I feel like I want to do one. Otherwise I never do one.

So my Alk rose which usually stays consistent but my calc fell which usually stays consistent.

From my understanding 2 part rarely is used by each individual additive but they usually are used with the same or close to same amount of dosages. I daily dose both tanks with dosing pumps.

I use hannah checkers for everything. right now I am basically doubling the amount of calcium dossage in the water to alk dossage. So basically for every 1ml of alk dossed there is 2ml of calc added.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont do water changes havent done them since I started the tank. If something bad happends I will do some or if I feel like I want to do one. Otherwise I never do one.

So my Alk rose which usually stays consistent but my calc fell which usually stays consistent.

From my understanding 2 part rarely is used by each individual additive but they usually are used with the same or close to same amount of dosages. I daily dose both tanks with dosing pumps.

I use hannah checkers for everything. right now I am basically doubling the amount of calcium dossage in the water to alk dossage. So basically for every 1ml of alk dossed there is 2ml of calc added.

That can only be sustained for long if the water change water does not match the tank, or the two part is made incorrectly. There's no mechanism to consume more calcium than the balanced amount of alkalinity (20 ppm calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alkalinity).

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If you don't mind me asking, how do you maintain low nutrients without water changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, how do you maintain low nutrients without water changes?

In my honest opinion I just let the live rock do its work. I use a denitrator to practically keep my nitrates at 0 but recently I am trying to bring it up to about 2 or so. Phosphate I used to use phosban but now I use an additive that takes nitrates from .5ppm to 0 overnight so if I need to bring phosphates down it is quite simple. Ammonia and nitrite is always at 0. Hope this answers the question if not please ask again and I will try to explain myself more. Also I use carbon for polishing the water along with a skimmer for additional nutrient export.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back