2 part trouble

Jwils27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been at this for about two years and I have always used seachem reef fusion 2part. My skills and reef systems have expanded since then. I now am at the point that I am growing acros successfully. But I am stumped on what to do next. I am constantly running into an issue with needing more part 2 and less part 1. I am currently dosing around 40 ml per day of both in my 150G. My Ca is constantly 500 and my All is usually around 7.5-8. My Mg is also high around 1600. So basically everything is my part 1 is consumed slowly and everything in my part 2 is either consumed quickly or is precipitating out. Both are dosed with an apex and BRS pumps that I calibrated ahead of time. I dose in a high flow area same place but about an hour apart.

The bigger issue now is that over the last few days my KH has been around 6. I have dosed about 90 ml extra over the last 24 hours and it is only making a small dent and slowly raising the KH. I checked with RS test and Hanna. Corals are mostly happy I lost a red dragon frag and my slimmer is not happy but every thing else looks good.

Has anyone else ever had this happen with two part? My first reaction is that I go a bad batch of Seachem. and also thinking I may switch to BRS 2 part and the part C from tropic marin.

Thanks and happy reefing!

yMmAkclUStWsEbpyGMmhaA.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know theoretically 2 part dosing should be "balanced" but in the whole time I've been in the hobby by calcium demand has been less than my alkalinity demand. Right now calcium demand is about 2/3 of alkalinity demand. Magnesium demand is lower than calcium and I only dose it manually every couple of weeks.

Like @redfishbluefish suggested, dose each parameter individually. Test, adjust....repeat!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose alk and calc, both three times a day, and without looking it up, I'm guessing 60 mls alk and 48 mls calc per day.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish and @saltyhog in your experience is it common practice to dose more part 2 on a regular schedule to compensate for this?

You'll have to forgive me, I don't use the numerical identifiers for my two part solutions but I assume you mean more alkalinity than calcium? Yes, I dose 4cc of alkalinity at the top of every hour with my doser controlled by Apex. I dose 3cc of Calcium every hour at the bottom of the hour also with Apex controlled doser. That comes out to 96cc of alkalinity/day and 72 cc of Calcium/day.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back