2 parts dosing strength

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2 parts recipe as provided in the bukkreefsupply container, calcium chloride and soda ash. I am dosing about 130mL each solution per day.
I am wondering if I can increase the concentration for my solutions by 50% or even 100%, for the purpose of dosing less volume. My dosing containers is only 1,000mL and this way I don't have to keep refilling the container. I rather not have larger dosing containers for various reasons such as limited space and avoid too much solutions in the event my Jebao doser went haywire.

Thanks in advance for the input

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to add to my comment... let's say today, according to the BRS instructions of making 2 part... instead of using 2.5 cups of Ca Chloride to make your 1 gallon mixture, you use 5 cups... then yes divide by 2.... however one thing to keep in mind is that it may not all mix as cleanly as the RODI water may not be able to hold 5 cups of mixture to make a solution. I personally have not doubled the mixture to date so I don't know if 1 gallon of RODI will efficiently dissolve 5 cups of Ca Chloride.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I am wondering if anyone know the saturation point for these solution. I am thinking to increase the concentration by 50%

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2 parts recipe as provided in the bukkreefsupply container, calcium chloride and soda ash. I am dosing about 130mL each solution per day.
I am wondering if I can increase the concentration for my solutions by 50% or even 100%, for the purpose of dosing less volume. My dosing containers is only 1,000mL and this way I don't have to keep refilling the container. I rather not have larger dosing containers for various reasons such as limited space and avoid too much solutions in the event my Jebao doser went haywire.

Hi, I assume 100% more concentrated means double dose powder in one gallon water? If yes, it is OK to increase the concentration by 50 % (one and a half dose), but not by 100%, because the solution will crystallize even at room temperature. This is valid for alkalinity part, the calcium part is OK to increase with 100% with no issues. But my advise is to not do even 50% increase of the Alk part because it is possible crystallization of soda ash to occur at the end of the tube and to clog it, causing serious problems. And also in case your doser went crazy there is no difference if the solution is 1 liter 50% more concentrated or 1,5 liter normal concentration. IMO instead of increasing concentration is better to try to find more place in sump or to optimize the shape of dosing container (for example replacement of normal bottles with rectangular containers could bring more volume with the same footprint).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not really.

I designed this recipe to be about as concentrated as it can be based on the solubility of the alkalinity part. It can be a little more concentrated, but gets harder and harder to dissolve fully.

The calcium part can be almost as concentrated as you want, but I'd keep it where it is to match the alk part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I am wondering if anyone know the saturation point for these solution. I am thinking to increase the concentration by 50%

The alk part is not too far from saturation as is.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Randy, this what I was afraid of. I will look at larger dosing containers

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back