2 problems with my zoas

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been dealing with this terrible brown film algea on my zoas and around the rocks the zoa is on. I think it's mainly due to my new lighting. I went from a current orbit led to 2 hydra 26s. I have been lowering the intensity to try and counter this film algea growth but nothing it helping. I put the lights on acclimation mode for a month to begin.

I've peroxide dipped and iodine dipped the zoas with this film algea but it is usually back within 2-3 days. How do i deal with this annoying brown algea?

My 2nd question is what is wrong with my rainbow incinerators. The lashes have seemed to turn inside and it looks white where they were. Is this from stress or possibly a pest?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

20190227_190830.jpg

20190227_190818.jpg

OP
OP
Grossman90

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks like Cyanobacteria to me...???
At first i thought that too but the same brown film algea grows on the glass right next to the frag rack which never started til i got my hydras. Never had algea growing on my frags til i got new lights.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first i thought that too but the same brown film algea grows on the glass right next to the frag rack which never started til i got my hydras. Never had algea growing on my frags til i got new lights.
That(brown film) sounds like dinos then, hard to confirm without a microscope.

OP
OP
Grossman90

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That(brown film) sounds like dinos then, hard to confirm without a microscope.
Hope not. My angel and tang both peck at it when its on the frag disc. I thought dinos usually had those weird bubbles on them when growing on things?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally found that any kind of nuisance algae or bacteria growing on or near any zoa mskes them very unhappy

Ever since i started vodka dosing i have much less algae bc good bacteria gets super charged from carbon vodka dosing which eats the nuisance buildup

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back