2 return pumps with 'Wye' check Valve

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marc G-L
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Marc G-L

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2025
Messages
210
Reaction score
228
Location
FT. Lauderdale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'll be getting my UNS R90 next month and with all the talk about redundancy, I have two questions:

1.) Has anybody setup 2 smaller pumps using a 'Y' adapter into the return line?
2.) Would a 'Wye check valve be helpful in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Marc G-L
 
A wye check valve will not let you connect 2 sources (pumps) into one. They only have one inlet and one outlet. They are called wye check valves because they are made out of wye fittings and are fundamentally different in the way they function when compared to flapper type check valves.
 
I guess I wasn't clear with my plan. In the direction downward from the tank, a Wye check valve (better than a flapper) then a "Y" adaptor with separate tubes down to 2 separate lower output DC pumps for redundancy. I see there a some WYE check valves in clear plastic so I can see if its junked up. They also have screw type side ports to access for cleaning w/o having to dismantle the connections.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new