2 vs 1 returns, split pump or 2 pumps?

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of planning a new build and need some feedback on return plumbing. I'm building a 180g uneven cube (42x36x28) w/ 40 breeder sump with a center overflow on the back wall (42-inch side). I currently have a Varios 2 pump which maxes out at 790 GPH on my current system.

I'm targeting closer to 1000-1500 GPH on this new build so my options are:

1. Get a second Varios 2 and run 2 pumps and 2 separate return lines at around 600 GPH ish each. With this logic, I could have 1 return dedicated to UV back into the display.
2. Buy a larger pump and run a single return.
3. Buy a larger pump and split the return line into two returns and sell/keep the existing as a backup. I suppose I could splice the return and plumb UV into one of them.

Any best practices here or things I should think about? I've never been 100% certain of the advantages of 2 return lines other than flow/more water distribution throughout tank? My goal is to keep this build very simple and not overcomplicate. This won't be my first time plumbing a sump so I'm confident there.

Any advice or personal experience is greatly appreciated.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i can understand and appreciate having redundancy with 2 pumps, but i'd rather just size up and run 1 pump. whenever possible, i always size up in equipment to avoid having to upgrade down the road.

if your goal is simple. stick to 1 return.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Redundancy...

I am constantly away from the house, sometimes for 6 months at a time. If one fails, the tank continues to run unless both pumps fail, which all tho not impossible, unlikely. I have only had to go down to 1 pump once in the last 3 years, but it was worth it in my case to have the extra there to keep the tank going.

If you have the room, I would do 2 pumps.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I currently have a Varios 2 pump which maxes out at 790 GPH on my current system.

There is no way possible that you're getting that from the VS-2, either adjust your expectations or buy more powerful pumps. I'd say somewhere in the 200-300 GPH range.

1687813324676.png

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to run 2 Vectra M2 pumps. I haven’t been back in the game for long but redundancy is always a good thing in electronics. And I have 300gph running through one pump, one return, and the UV at 41%. I setup the other side to power the manifold/reactors and the other return at the same rate. If one pump fails or needs cleaned, a flip of a valve allows for that maintenance for as long as needed. It’s definitely NOT simple however. An added benefit is being able to run the pumps at a slower speed and not make as much noise. I was debating this heavily as well. I knew I would buy 2 pumps in the end anyways, so I figured I might as well use it and have it hooked up. In an emergency, my wife would never be able to swap out a pump.

OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to run 2 Vectra M2 pumps. I haven’t been back in the game for long but redundancy is always a good thing in electronics. And I have 300gph running through one pump, one return, and the UV at 41%. I setup the other side to power the manifold/reactors and the other return at the same rate. If one pump fails or needs cleaned, a flip of a valve allows for that maintenance for as long as needed. It’s definitely NOT simple however. An added benefit is being able to run the pumps at a slower speed and not make as much noise. I was debating this heavily as well. I knew I would buy 2 pumps in the end anyways, so I figured I might as well use it and have it hooked up. In an emergency, my wife would never be able to swap out a pump.
Appreciate the insight!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 return outputs off one pump is useless. Just robs you of flow and does very little. I never bothered with running dual pumps, preferring to use a single pump with many years of reliable history. Usually I just keep a drop in replacement handy just in case.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back