2 week Hypo Transfer

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke down my nano tank as I am upgrading it to a larger reefer. Have always suspected flukes maybe a mild crypt infection in there. About 10 days ago my clown had white stringy poop and stopped eating. Also had head twitching. My assessors would always get a white spot here and there as well. Got all the fish in QT running hypo at 1.009. Clownfish is eating but my assessors are really not handling the hypo very well. Not sure if they have eaten in over a week. If the hypo works on the ick theoretically at day 14 the fish should be clean then right? Same with flukes? Was thinking I can just transfer the fish to my new tank and start it off in Hypo and raise the salinity in there. It's all base rock now so no coral or Invert issues.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to have settled in the hypo except for one my Randall's assessors. Swimming was real weak and it hasn't moved in 2 days. Still Live and breathing hard but not to rapid. I netted the fish out this morning and moved to a clean tank and am going to raise the salinity over the next few days. I am dosing maracyn two as well in case there is an infection. Not sure what happened but if the fish dies I will be sending off for a necropsy to get an exact cause of death. Super bummed since you cant really even get them anymore.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to have settled in the hypo except for one my Randall's assessors. Swimming was real weak and it hasn't moved in 2 days. Still Live and breathing hard but not to rapid. I netted the fish out this morning and moved to a clean tank and am going to raise the salinity over the next few days. I am dosing maracyn two as well in case there is an infection. Not sure what happened but if the fish dies I will be sending off for a necropsy to get an exact cause of death. Super bummed since you cant really even get them anymore.
I would go very slow raising the salinity, it is stressful on the way back up. Maracyn 2 isn't usually a recommended/effective antibiotic for saltwater fish and antibiotics can suppress appetite. Do you have an airstone and a power head breaking the surface of the water to provide as much oxygen as possible? Also, are you sure that you were dealing with flukes and not another disease?

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go very slow raising the salinity, it is stressful on the way back up. Maracyn 2 isn't usually a recommended/effective antibiotic for saltwater fish and antibiotics can suppress appetite. Do you have an airstone and a power head breaking the surface of the water to provide as much oxygen as possible? Also, are you sure that you were dealing with flukes and not another disease?

Yes in regards to airstone and powerhead. Not sure what I was dealing with but will find out via a necropsy if I cant get this one to pull through. The only other thing I can think off was the fish was being bullied by the other Randall's and Ocellaris. I guess time will tell.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's gill damage and he's having trouble breathing a methelyne blue bath may help. One caveat with using hypo, if you encounter a disease that requires copper the two treatments cannot be done together

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's gill damage and he's having Tribble breathing a methelyne blue bath may help. One caveat with using hypo, if you encounter a disease that requires copper the two treatments cannot be done together

I am afraid to move this fish again even to dip in a bucket. Do you think it's okay to dose directly in the qt?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid to move this fish again even to dip in a bucket. Do you think it's okay to dose directly in the qt?
MB can be used in a qt, I've done it before. The only issue is that it will kill your biofilter so you will also need to dose prime every 24 to 48 hours to bind ammonia. It will also permanently stain the silicone in the tank.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB can be used in a qt, I've done it before. The only issue is that it will kill your biofilter so you will also need to dose prime every 24 to 48 hours to bind ammonia. It will also permanently stain the silicone in the tank.

I know it can interact with some antibiotics. Tetracycline being one but nothing about minocycline which is maracyn 2. Any ideas on this? Did some searching but couldn't find anything.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't get a notification when you responded yesterday, I'm not sure about interactions with those but I have used it with Furan-2 and triple sulfa which is close to the same mixture as nfg. I'm glad he seems to be doing better!

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't get a notification when you responded yesterday, I'm not sure about interactions with those but I have used it with Furan-2 and triple sulfa which is close to the same mixture as nfg. I'm glad he seems to be doing better!

Yesterday my other Randall's started to go down the same path as the other one. I think they are hypo sensitive. Going to do the same maracyn 1 and 2 combo and slowly raise the salinity. This one looks a bit worse than the other one who seems to have fully recovered.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my other Randall's started to go down the same path as the other one. I think they are hypo sensitive. Going to do the same maracyn 1 and 2 combo and slowly raise the salinity. This one looks a bit worse than the other one who seems to have fully recovered.
Glad to hear about the one that recovered, I hope your other fish pulls through alright

Back