Leaving fish in hyposalinity

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can leaving fish in hypo salinity (1.009) for more than 30 days be harmful to the fish?

I have had baby burrfish in hypo salinity for 30 days. One of them died before I reached hypo salinity from either ich or velvet. I currently have them in their own tank because they are too small still to go into the display tank. I’m nervous to bring up the salinity because I’m afraid if the one that died did have velvet it would then affect the other fish in the tank when the salinity comes back up. I think they are too young to treat with chemicals assuming ich does appear.

They have had no health issues while in the low salinity. All of my numbers have also been good.

So I’m pretty much asking if I should just keep them in hypo salinity, put them in copper, or just raise the salinity and see how they do. Any advice is appreciated

IMG_1867.jpeg IMG_1896.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can leaving fish in hypo salinity (1.009) for more than 30 days be harmful to the fish?

I have had baby burrfish in hypo salinity for 30 days. One of them died before I reached hypo salinity from either ich or velvet. I currently have them in their own tank because they are too small still to go into the display tank. I’m nervous to bring up the salinity because I’m afraid if the one that died did have velvet it would then affect the other fish in the tank when the salinity comes back up. I think they are too young to treat with chemicals assuming ich does appear.

They have had no health issues while in the low salinity. All of my numbers have also been good.

So I’m pretty much asking if I should just keep them in hypo salinity, put them in copper, or just raise the salinity and see how they do. Any advice is appreciated

The good news is that velvet is not affected by hypo salinity - so there would be no risk of that. So, I'm not sure why you would want to leave it in hyposalinity. What you could try is (of course gradually) increase the salinity in your QT tank, and then observe the fish for some time - if it has disease, you will see it.

OP
OP
burrfishbloatin

burrfishbloatin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is that velvet is not affected by hypo salinity - so there would be no risk of that. So, I'm not sure why you would want to leave it in hyposalinity. What you could try is (of course gradually) increase the salinity in your QT tank, and then observe the fish for some time - if it has disease, you will see it.
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I prefer to limit full hyposalinity to 45 days maximum, with a standard 30 days for treatment. Many fish can live indefinitely at slightly higher levels - 1.012 to 1.018

That said, bay fish such as these have a better tolerance to low salinity,

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back