2 Weeks into Cyano battle update

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks into my battle with Cyano, we're looking much better. No more growth on the substrate but still struggling with growth on the rocks. Reducing light intensity has really helped as well as dialing in my lack of nutrients. Lagging behind on beefing up my CUC per the suggestions from my last thread on here.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is a bacteria bloom. It does not do photosynthesis. So the reduced lights makes no difference that I can think of. Adding some flow to the area will also help.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is a bacteria bloom. It does not do photosynthesis. So the reduced lights makes no difference that I can think of. Adding some flow to the area will also help.

Interesting, but don't people do 3 day blackouts as one way of killing off the Cyano? I did up the flow on my wave maker but maybe i need some more flow against the rocks since the substrate now seems fine.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, but don't people do 3 day blackouts as one way of killing off the Cyano? I did up the flow on my wave maker but maybe i need some more flow against the rocks since the substrate now seems fine.

No. They do the black outs to kill algae, which does do photosynthesis. Cyano is a bacteria not a plant. People who dose carbon (in what ever form, vodka or whatever) to feed beneficial bacteria often get cyano when they start to dose too much.

Back