2 year old FOWLR with reef tank asperations

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, I've gotten the itch to quit lurking and network with other hobbyists because I'm pretty sure there's only so much my wife can tolerate when it comes to saltwater aquariums.

That being said, this is my 30-gallon FOWLR system that has been heavily neglected due to frustration, so very minimal maintenance was performed. Needless to say, over the last 6 months, I've put a lot of time into getting this tank squared away and ready for corals, as I now have an itch for a reef tank. Yes, I started with tap water in the system, with which I battled diatoms—something bad—but the system now uses quality RODI water.

 System:  30 gallon (tank manufacturer is unknown) purchased it off Facebook marketplace.

 Filtration:  Fluval 307 (don't judge it's well maintained) media is straightforward. No mechanical filtration outside of filter floss. Bag or two of carbon and rock rubble and lava rock.

 Light:  Coralife ( recently purchased a T5 fixture for future installation.

Plan to upgrade wave maker as it is a cheap purchase from Amazon but two years in still moves plenty of water for the tank size.

The heater is a Fluval M100

The hinged glass lid is from Top fin.

Ballpark of about 30-35lbs of dry rock which at this point live rock.

Livestock:
 Two Ocellaris clownfish. Spotted Yellow Diamond Goby, Pistol Shrimp, and full of assorted snails.

So far I've been using the KISS method. Not the prettiest tank but it's a work in progress. Do plan to start with some easy coral to keep coral. Stay tuned I plan to keep this updated as I progress.
20231029_123216.jpg

1000002302-01.jpeg

1000002298-01.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, I've gotten the itch to quit lurking and network with other hobbyists because I'm pretty sure there's only so much my wife can tolerate when it comes to saltwater aquariums.

That being said, this is my 30-gallon FOWLR system that has been heavily neglected due to frustration, so very minimal maintenance was performed. Needless to say, over the last 6 months, I've put a lot of time into getting this tank squared away and ready for corals, as I now have an itch for a reef tank. Yes, I started with tap water in the system, with which I battled diatoms—something bad—but the system now uses quality RODI water.

 System:  30 gallon (tank manufacturer is unknown) purchased it off Facebook marketplace.

 Filtration:  Fluval 307 (don't judge it's well maintained) media is straightforward. No mechanical filtration outside of filter floss. Bag or two of carbon and rock rubble and lava rock.

 Light:  Coralife ( recently purchased a T5 fixture for future installation.

Plan to upgrade wave maker as it is a cheap purchase from Amazon but two years in still moves plenty of water for the tank size.

The heater is a Fluval M100

The hinged glass lid is from Top fin.

Ballpark of about 30-35lbs of dry rock which at this point live rock.

Livestock:
 Two Ocellaris clownfish. Spotted Yellow Diamond Goby, Pistol Shrimp, and full of assorted snails.

So far I've been using the KISS method. Not the prettiest tank but it's a work in progress. Do plan to start with some easy coral to keep coral. Stay tuned I plan to keep this updated as I progress.
20231029_123216.jpg

1000002302-01.jpeg

1000002298-01.jpeg
Tank looks great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back