2 Year Tank - Growing Acropora 1/2021

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what looks like cyano growing on the bleached tips. Unfortunately that one is almost certainly a goner... so don’t be surprised if it RTNs all of a sudden.

Healthy acros like those don’t bleach that quickly from not enough light in two weeks. If you blasted them with 400 par then maybe.

instead its more likely a stability and/or water quality issue. You mention your Alk, but what’s your calcium? 8.5 alk with 320 calcium for instance means dead acros. What’s your flow? Low flow and cyano is going make it very hard on new acro frags.

And while your NO3 and PO4 levels are certainly possible to keep healthy Acros, I also wouldn’t say it’s ideal conditions to learn to grow them in either. High nutrients can be a double edged sword, especially when the tank doesn’t yet have a lot of growth and stability... it’s going to exacerbate issues.

Assuming you get your Alkalinity and Calcium nice and stable, 8.0, 420. Then make sure you get strong flow, I’d get those nutrients more in the 1-2ppm NO3 range and 0.03-0.05 PO4 range.

Once you can grow them, then you can try boosting the nutrients if are having color or slow growth issues.

Also never hurts to do an ICP test to check for other water quality issues.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My same thought...
It’s actually very hard to bleach acros, bleaching would be pale or white but still showing polyps. Those pictures are STN/RTN which is much more common and basically means losing tissue and dying.

OP
OP
Jenuvio

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see what looks like cyano growing on the bleached tips. Unfortunately that one is almost certainly a goner... so don’t be surprised if it RTNs all of a sudden.

Healthy acros like those don’t bleach that quickly from not enough light in two weeks. If you blasted them with 400 par then maybe.

instead its more likely a stability and/or water quality issue. You mention your Alk, but what’s your calcium? 8.5 alk with 320 calcium for instance means dead acros. What’s your flow? Low flow and cyano is going make it very hard on new acro frags.

And while your NO3 and PO4 levels are certainly possible to keep healthy Acros, I also wouldn’t say it’s ideal conditions to learn to grow them in either. High nutrients can be a double edged sword, especially when the tank doesn’t yet have a lot of growth and stability... it’s going to exacerbate issues.

Assuming you get your Alkalinity and Calcium nice and stable, 8.0, 420. Then make sure you get strong flow, I’d get those nutrients more in the 1-2ppm NO3 range and 0.03-0.05 PO4 range.

Once you can grow them, then you can try boosting the nutrients if are having color or slow growth issues.

Also never hurts to do an ICP test to check for other water quality issues.

I'm gonna buy an ICP. Testing Calcium with API and reads 400-420...
May be a flow issue but will look into other water parameters and keep trying.

Thanks for the advise

OP
OP
Jenuvio

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They died. I have not tried any since. Still have the same light and might try again in the future

Tank Update - Hit 3 years in November

Attachments

• Tank1.2022.jpg
    Tank1.2022.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 42

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell from the pics, are you growing coralline on all surfaces?

SyracuseMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to guess on par, particularly with LEDs. This is even more true with puck or spotlight style LEDs. When I first used a par meter, I was surprised to learn I was both providing too much and too little light, sometimes only inches apart. I ended up putting 4 t5s on my 180. I have a 60 gallon cube with just LEDs but, I have 2 Radion XR30s over a tank that’s only 24 x 24 inches, not for power but for spread and creating even lighting. More fixtures are better. Also, once acros start to grow, shadowing becomes a real issue.

Matt

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to guess on par, particularly with LEDs. This is even more true with puck or spotlight style LEDs. When I first used a par meter, I was surprised to learn I was both providing too much and too little light, sometimes only inches apart. I ended up putting 4 t5s on my 180. I have a 60 gallon cube with just LEDs but, I have 2 Radion XR30s over a tank that’s only 24 x 24 inches, not for power but for spread and creating even lighting. More fixtures are better. Also, once acros start to grow, shadowing becomes a real issue.

Matt
For sure...I am both surprised and disappointed at what PAR I have in the tank. I wish I knew how to copy my Apex graphs and paste here. Basically my PARs is mostly at 130-170s. Only my tallest rock work has a PAR of 230s. With people talking 400-450s PAR for acros, I guess i am back to the drawing board.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back