Acropora is bullying me

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have struggled so much with keeping acropora in my mixed reef. Not sure how to create more success. Would really appreciate any advice.

Tank: 48” long 2AI hydra 32’s with 4 48” t5 bulbs. PAR reads peak 335 at the green acro and 265 at the purple one (shown more growth). Running AB+ on MXM with rise to 55% and peak 65% then back to 55% (schedule attached).

Chemistry: Alk 7, Ca 415, NO3 5, PO4 0.04
Routine: 10% water change biweekly (i frequently have to dose nitrogen). If nutrients low i skip the change.

Any and all advice appreciated.

E628D88D-2A84-4C9F-840B-CFC30E637FC3.jpeg 83A985B1-8943-4559-B5DF-CABEAF3BE5A9.jpeg 5D6C699B-E97E-40AB-A0FC-8F6863EA5364.png

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have struggled with acros too, but for different reasons mainly being the tank is too small. I had insanely fast growth on a PC rainbow for a month, then it just died… one of the biggest reasons I’ve noticed is flow more than light. Obviously make sure that the light is enough, but I’ve noticed that changing my flow placement and strength had large impacts on the growth of the acros I’ve tried. Don’t worry you’re not alone in the bullying process

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have struggled with acros too, but for different reasons mainly being the tank is too small. I had insanely fast growth on a PC rainbow for a month, then it just died… one of the biggest reasons I’ve noticed is flow more than light. Obviously make sure that the light is enough, but I’ve noticed that changing my flow placement and strength had large impacts on the growth of the acros I’ve tried. Don’t worry you’re not alone in the bullying process
Thanks i appreciate all the company. Haha. I will consider adding some flow, always love a reason to try new tech. Lol
Thanks

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which PAR meter are you using?

Also, other corals look very very close to those acro. I might consider moving them somewhere where they don’t touch other corals.
The PAR meter is an Apogee MQ-510.

I think you’re right about the purple piece surrounded by the zoas. I’ve been gun shy about moving it because it’s the only acro frag that has shown growth (maybe a bad reason). The green frag is completely by itself. The GSP is on the wall quite a ways behind it.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First thing's first- raise your Alkalinity and Calcium levels. IMO, NO3 is too low, as well. I get the best color out of my SPS with NO3 between 10 and 15. What is your ph testing at? 2nd, the zoas are smothering the purple one. How old is the green? It looks like it is beginning to base out- growth with acros can be painfully slow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing's first- raise your Alkalinity and Calcium levels. IMO, NO3 is too low, as well. I get the best color out of my SPS with NO3 between 10 and 15. What is your ph testing at? 2nd, the zoas are smothering the purple one. How old is the green? It looks like it is beginning to base out. Growth with acros is sometimes painfully slow.
A couple years ago i tried to raise my Alk to 9 using Hanna checkers and lost and elegance coral. I got spooked and have just maintained 7. I can try to increase again slowly and monitor. Salifert testing for NO has been ok but maybe i will pick up a Hanna to dial that in also. pH is on the Apex. pH peaks at 8.3 most days and falls to 8.0 overnight.

The green frag seemed like it was going to base out then started getting brown at the tips. Maybe the photo doesn’t capture it so well.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple years ago i tried to raise my Alk to 9 using Hanna checkers and lost and elegance coral. I got spooked and have just maintained 7. I can try to increase again slowly and monitor. Salifert testing for NO has been ok but maybe i will pick up a Hanna to dial that in also. pH is on the Apex. pH peaks at 8.3 most days and falls to 8.0 overnight.

The green frag seemed like it was going to base out then started getting brown at the tips. Maybe the photo doesn’t capture it so well.
In general, alk is recommended at between 8-9 for SPS, minimally. I maintain mine at 11. As with any changes you make, go slowly. Stable alk is probably one of the most underrated, yet crucial parameters. Rule of thumb- the higher the alk, the less tolerant things are to swings in anything. For a mixed reef, I would target between 8 and 9. Seven is too low.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your flow like? Seeing sps beside zoa's and gsp make me think its not getting sps flow.
That’s a good point. For flow i have two Nero 5’s on the back wall at 65%. I will check out another couple of Nero’s. I suppose this is the pain of a mixed tank.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. For flow i have two Nero 5’s on the back wall at 65%. I will check out another couple of Nero’s. I suppose this is the pain of a mixed tank.
I am wondering if your lights might be a bit low for that green acro where it is since you’re seeing some browning after an initial period of growth. What has the timeline been from when you started to see it base out to where you saw it start to brown? Also… in my experience it can take a couple of months for acros to start adapting to a new system and a lot of mine browned out early on, continued to base and encrust and then started to color back up and grow. It is different for every acro species as well and what works for a smooth skin versus what works for a tenuis may be slightly different. While your nutrients are a little on the low side I think we need a little bit more information. I’ve seen plenty of successful tanks with the parameters you’re describing.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if your lights might be a bit low for that green acro where it is since you’re seeing some browning after an initial period of growth. What has the timeline been from when you started to see it base out to where you saw it start to brown? Also… in my experience it can take a couple of months for acros to start adapting to a new system and a lot of mine browned out early on, continued to base and encrust and then started to color back up and grow. It is different for every acro species as well and what works for a smooth skin versus what works for a tenuis may be slightly different. While your nutrients are a little on the low side I think we need a little bit more information. I’ve seen plenty of successful tanks with the parameters you’re describing.
Gotcha. I certainly have room to turn up the lights. I actually tweaked them down 10% yesterday because the base got a bit lighter. I will go back up and wait it out.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, alk is recommended at between 8-9 for SPS, minimally. I maintain mine at 11. As with any changes you make, go slowly. Stable alk is probably one of the most underrated, yet crucial parameters. Rule of thumb- the higher the alk, the less tolerant things are to swings in anything. For a mixed reef, I would target between 8 and 9. Seven is too low.
I wouldn't agree 7 is too low. It really depends on the tank and, of course, mostly on stability. I've had great growth with Alk at 7 - granted it might've been even better with Alk at 8 or 9, but 7 is definitely not "too low".

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure your PH is bottoming out, eh?

I hate suggesting people add complexity, but this seems like a great case for limewater (we're not in Germany, we don't call it kalkwasser).

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water parameters looks just fine. Don't go chasing numbers. Natural sea water is around 7dkh and it grows acros better than anyone!
Definitely move the one away from those zoas. If it's in a spot where zoas are growing, you're probably not giving it enough flow.
Get some water ripping past them.
Make sure you're feeding plenty too. Acros love fish poop!

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure your PH is bottoming out, eh?

I hate suggesting people add complexity, but this seems like a great case for limewater (we're not in Germany, we don't call it kalkwasser).
I guess it depends on what you consider ‘bottoming out’. I have the skimmer line going outside. It typically peaks at 8.3 and the lowest it gets is 8.0 in the middle of the night. I’m not running kalk/limewater.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those zoanthids looks too big and fluffy considering they are getting 250 PAR. At those PAR levels, they should shrink up, even after a year or more of acclimation.
I have had that Zoa colony for 6-ish years and it is certainly exploding this year. That said i work in a field that forces me to always question the numbers/labs. Maybe the PAR meter is off.?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled for a long time with my acros as well. It took me months to find my "recipe" . Judging by your numbers I don't see any reason why you couldn't succeed with acros, I think you just need to find the right mix for you.

For me I ended up removing most of my Lps and Leathers, cranking the flow and lighting higher, using kalkwasser, and carbon dosing along with heavy nutrients Eventually it started to take off for me and now I have 50 acros.

I think focusing on higher ph and higher nutrients with strong flow and lighting to start and go from there.

Mixed reef is tough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back