2 year tank woe venting

devocole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The luck with my dream build has not been good. I have had an open budget on this project and set it up to my ideal. I installed a 6KW natural gas generator outside to accommodate for power outages and protect my reef.

240 gallon display. 90 gallon sump.
2 Cor 20 returns
2 maxspect 350 gyres
2 large Neros
2 Klir 50 filter rollers
Inkbird 2 probe attached to 2 brs 500watt heaters
Maxspect aeraqua duo skimmer
Icecap algae reactor medium
40watt aqua UV sterilizer
Hi flow Algae refugium: Chaeto, red ogo, ulva
Low flow pod refugium
Extremely low flow pod refugium
Deltec 1500 automatic calcium reactor
Neptune apex controller
Trident water monitoring
Plank drum autofeeder
Hydros wave controller
5 Radion lights new generation.

I am truly stunned by the failure rate of this specialized equipment. My previous 90 gallon ran on simple equipment: eheim jager heaters, Sicce ac pump etc. No major issues in 7 years. Just worn part replacement in old generation gyres. Same heaters still going. Sicce return pump literally cleaned 3 times.

Custom made Dream tank
  1. Acrylic background silicone fail around return lines caused leak while on holidays. Leak detectors saved this from catastrophe. Took a very long time to trouble shoot and fix the problem. Manufacturing failure. Similar failure on opposite return, not as big.
  2. 1 cor20 power block failure and replacement under 2 years.
  3. 1 maxspect 350 gyre failure and replacement in 1 year. Old generation much better quality.
  4. Klir controller and optical sensor failures and replacements under 1 year
  5. Yesterday inkbird failure. Thankfully redundant connection to apex saved a cooked tank.
  6. Aqua UV sterilizer rattling quartz tube required much trouble shooting to fix.
  7. Apex controller complete failure in under 16 months, required mail in.
  8. Trident failure in under 16 months, required mail in and $200 fix program
  9. Apex controller locking some equipment in on position. Plank drum drained twice, won’t use auto feeder anymore.
  10. Radion lights unusual stoppage at times. Had to replace 1 power block under 2 years.

And the icing on the cake. 1.5 years of Amphidinium Dino’s. I will be the ultimate expert on this dino if I do finally beat it as I have tried everything. Currently on a strict regiment of daily testing and dosing N, P, Si, Phyto, Pods, Bacterial additives. If not eradicated by summer I will remove the sand. It was beat once for a short period of time but the prevailing strain is resilient and here to stay. I don’t want to start discussion on this subject here. But just highlighting the lack of joy this project has brought so far. Good learning experience though.

I no longer share my woes with my wife as it will not help my cause for future projects.

I will say that the deltec is an impressive piece of equipment and I will be considering their products in future purchases. The aeraqua duo is excellent as well.

I will not be buying Neptune products in the future. They have good customer service but I have determined that the quality does not suit my needs.

I would like a company like deltec to build a Gyre pump. And to discover an aquarium automation solution that is simple, robust and reliable.

I hope I have had a lemon experience and everyone is doing better.

Thanks for listening :).
Happy Holidays

Devon

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Just plain sucks!
2. Sicce SDC or Abyzz if you have the $$.
3. Maxpect gyres suck (have two). Red Sea ReefWaves or EcoTech Vortech.
4. Red Sea ReefMat 1200 for the win!
5. Innovative Marine Helio system for the second win!
6. Still better than Pentair (see glowing and leaking).
7. It happens (rare, but not unheard of). Mine has been fine; YMMV (obviously).
8. Needs regular calibration, maintenance and "unofficial" operation to get the most out of it.
9. I'd review your programming (either something got toggled in Fusion or it was programmed wrong).
10. Phillips Coral Care 2.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back