2 Yellow tang or 3?

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting multiple yellow tangs because my lfs said there will be much price increase here due to the hawaii ban.

so my question should i do 2 or 3? ill put them in my 20 gal quarantine tank for copper and prazi first then to the DT 250.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend on what's already in there. I'd also take that advice with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they will still becoming from other sources.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend on what's already in there. I'd also take that advice with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they will still becoming from other sources.
its a brand new qt. so it would be only the yellow tangs

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 gallon? You could do three.
i mean in the qt, theyre gonna be 3 yellow tangs only. as for the DT. im currently setting them up now. i already have in the QT achilles, pbt, pt, 1 wrasse,2cf. theyre already done with there copper and prazi treatment. so my plan is adding them all at the same time like this.
1. Add 3HYT and PT with CF and wrasse.
2. after 1 week Add achilles and PBT.

basically something like that.
what concerns me now really is

should i go with 2 or 3 hyt in the qt tank to avoid aggression amongst them.
i feel like if i get two they would fight much more instead of 3.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, your LFS is incorrect. Any increase in price for yellow tangs is being done at the retail side to take advantage of the situation. What has been immediately cancelled by the courts is the use of nets with a mesh less than 2". So smaller fish prices may go up, but not yellow tangs. There is a $1 increase in yellow tangs, but that dollar is dedicated for the PIJAC defense of Hawaiian ornamentals, so that may equal up to a $3 increase on the retail level. Anything more than that is just taking advantage.

Second, 2-4 yellow tangs is problematic. Odd numbers aren't great with yellow tangs, because IME they pr off at about 6months and this usually ends up meaning the death of the odd one. And small numbers just amplify aggression.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME more is better than fewer — with two you run a higher risk of the two not pairing and being able to easily single each other out for aggression which could lead to death.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, your LFS is incorrect. Any increase in price for yellow tangs is being done at the retail side to take advantage of the situation. What has been immediately cancelled by the courts is the use of nets with a mesh less than 2". So smaller fish prices may go up, but not yellow tangs. There is a $1 increase in yellow tangs, but that dollar is dedicated for the PIJAC defense of Hawaiian ornamentals, so that may equal up to a $3 increase on the retail level. Anything more than that is just taking advantage.

Second, 2-4 yellow tangs is problematic. Odd numbers aren't great with yellow tangs, because IME they pr off at about 6months and this usually ends up meaning the death of the odd one. And small numbers just amplify aggression.
Thanks for this info!

Back