Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Options so far:
3? Chalk basslets
3+? yellow line cardinal
2 royal grama
2 fire fish
Damsels???

Would any sort of chromis work? I read blue chromis could go in a nano tank but I though most (common aquarium) chromis got to big?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a warning about chalk bass. They are predatory and actually get to about three plus inches. Just this week, I saw a three inch chalk bass at the LFS with a smaller fish's tail sticking out of its mouth. Cardinals are cool but don't travel well. I know of stores that don't carry them any more because they just die in the bag on the way home. It happened to me several times. I have masked gobies. They stay small, are hardy, active and peaceful. A tank with masked gobies or Grammas with rock flower anemones, ricordea and gorgonians would be cool.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added a few more possibles to the list. . .

threadfin cardinal
black bar chromis (only gets to 2inches?)
Catalina gobies (seem hard to find and expensive)

Anyone had success with a pair or multiple hectors gobies? I already have one, would love to get more, but sounds like they will fight to the death even in big tanks. . .

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
threadfin cardinal- These are hard to find, dont ship well, and have bad survival rates

black bar chromis (only gets to 2inches?)- not sure about these, but they look very damsel like which are usually more aggressive chromis. If you wanted multiple it might be an issue in such a small tank

Catalina gobies (seem hard to find and expensive)- they also need a cool water tank which limits corals

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of ocellaris

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about a scape with hidey holes for barnacle blennies? Add some gorgonians and macro algae for a very cool tank.
I have reconsidered this as I love barnacles. . . I will be at my LFS tonight and they sometimes get these guys in. . . I will see how much it would cost to order some. . . my other fish store said they could not order them for me :(

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How about Seahorse and Pipefish? They can go in a smaller tank and can be peaceful and fun for kiddos to watch.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Seahorse and Pipefish? They can go in a smaller tank and can be peaceful and fun for kiddos to watch.
It is a 20 gallon long, so the height of the aquarium would be an issue for seahorses as well as keeping nutrients down due to the messy eating

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly consider some of the smaller shoaling goby species. I believe someone else mentioned Trimma sp. or Evotia sp. gobies. These tiny little guys make a very neat display, if they are kept in a peaceful tank.
I kept a 2 gallon reef on my desk at work for several years. I had 8 trimma gobies. They were constantly in the water column and always visible. They also spawn readily in a reef tank.

You could easily keep a group of 20 or more in a 20 gallon tank. Being small they have very minimal bio-load.

Another option (if you run a cooler tank under 75F) would be eastern hula fish. It has been several years since I have seen them available, but they are a very unusual shoaling species.

~Michael

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reconsidered this as I love barnacles. . . I will be at my LFS tonight and they sometimes get these guys in. . . I will see how much it would cost to order some. . . my other fish store said they could not order them for me :(
Good luck, I know my lfs does not have them often. I also would like some more in my tank as they are the coolest little fish!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back