OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What glass hood? I have the 40 gallon breeder tank from petco. What is the best substrate? What size mixing container do you use for a 40 gallon breeder?
I have a 40 breeder - I like the dimensions a lot. I’m running a seachem tidal 55 and it does fine (I wish I went with the 75 though), you just need a powerhead for extra flow.
I use the glass hood, it works well.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What glass hood? I have the 40 gallon breeder tank from petco. What is the best substrate? What size mixing container do you use for a 40 gallon breeder?
If I were you from my experience I would look into TBS live sand. Freshly harvested from the gulf of Mexico. Loaded with tons of beneficial bacteria. I purchased premium live rock from them. Tank is loaded with pods. And sponges and so much more life. @LiverockRocks

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tidal HOB as well for my 20L love them they are very good filters and pack a good flow. I have a hyyger wave maker for mine as well. They are cheap but decent. Comes with controller and multiple settings. May want to check into that. I can send you some pics of mine.
Would love to see pictures

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw before the bio cube, 24 gallons, and comes with the light and filter built in. That might just be ideal. Still somewhat small and does not need gigantic water changes.

What are good fish and coral options for a 24 gallon?
Good fish are fire fish, blennys, clowns, hawk fish, royal grama basslet, some gobies, cardinal fish, as for corals zoas, mushrooms, toadstools, forgspawn,Duncan, Xenia,ricordias,and torches

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just go all in, I do have a 40 gallon breeder tank I have had for sometime. I might end up using that. Would just need to figure out the filtration. Guessing a hang on the back type but would still need to figure out a top for it. After all some of the fish I know heard goby's love to jump out.
Pixie glass easy to cut and stops evaporation

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see pictures
Picture isn't best quality but here is the definition of a budget build and still being able to have fish and corals and love it!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_175819.jpg
    IMG_20220930_175819.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 40

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch. A branching hammer. Bambam zoas. Sunny D zoas. A random zoa and monster eye zoas. Also pulsing Xenia which grows like a weed. And a Duncan which is producing almost 4 new heads and a pipe organ

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g with a marine land 75 gallon filter. It has been a running fine with a 20 dollar Amazon saltwater light great deal it even grows sps, and lps, it has made my zoas and frogspawn grow bigger into a nice colony in all to setup I spent 196 dollars to setup with over 300dollar in fish and corals, pretty cheap if you ask me

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just go all in, I do have a 40 gallon breeder tank I have had for sometime. I might end up using that. Would just need to figure out the filtration. Guessing a hang on the back type but would still need to figure out a top for it. After all some of the fish I know heard goby's love to jump out.
Using a tank you already have will save money. If I had the space...

The Tidal hob filters are said to be good. I initially ran my 55 with two large Aquaclears. In the final analysis, I think that was better than switching to pumps.

I'm setting up a 10 gallon nano, and had to buy a new tank, but here's the livestock plan:

Initial livestock will be the live sand/live rock hitchhikers, but after the tank is fully mature, I want a tailspot goby, a cleaner shrimp, a porcelain crab, and maybe a tuxedo urchin. I had a tailspot blenny in a nano in the past, and it was a lot of fun. My first setup included a cleaner shrimp that ate out of my hand and "cleaned" my fingers. I also want to add a few rock flower anemones and some sexy shrimp, tiny and fun to observe.

Welcome, by the way, to the world of reefing. Watching a successful reef tank is better than TV.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light do you use? Need to find something I can easily mount on the tank
I use the AI prime yes it was a big purchase but I brought into concept what brs said buy where you want to go not where you are now so I can use this ai prime for future tanks. Bigger tanks and it's a strong reliable light an has a app for it. Easy to program and change. Can grow all types of corals from softies to sps. Like I said yes it was a big purchase but I have forever now and can grow all types of corals

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the glass hood from petco.
I mix my salt in a 3 gallon bucket before pouring in (not really the best practice).
I use the caribsea live sand - I like it a lot.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh
I use the glass hood from petco.
I mix my salt in a 3 gallon bucket before pouring in (not really the best practice).
I use the caribsea live sand - I like it a lot.
will have to find something a little bigger then a 3 gallon bucket for a 40 gallon tank. Maybe on of those lowes buckets that they sell.

Does anyone use a hang on the back protien skimmer? I might consider one but not sure on the size for a 40 gallon

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one. There are a few good HOB skimmers. Check out aquamaxx 1.5 and reef octopus

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one. There are a few good HOB skimmers. Check out aquamaxx 1.5 and reef octopus
Okay looks like the Reef octopus might be a bit big for a 40 gallon tank. But looks like the aquamaxx 1.5 might just work. Unless I am missing a smaller reef octopus hang on back.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a smaller reef octopus HOB but I have herd very good feedback from the aquaamax but make sure you didn't miss the reef octopus and be sure to compare them both before making a decision but a skimmer I guess if I say this may start a argument lol but it's a must. Not just for nutrients export but mainly to aerate the water and provide it with o2

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back