20 gallon

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair; I also think that unless kept incredibly well fed, Langston will switch prey. He could easily kill the clowns (likely at night, mantis shrimp have really weird vision).

We need some pictures of those GSP. Try to make the shroom (and the other corals) have some good flow).

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to add a power head, you have very low flow in your tank and your zoas won’t grow well with that (in my experience)

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if he's hungry he'll probably go after the clowns. Right now he has an abundance of prey so I don't think it's an issue. But I do need to start thinking about if I go on a trip, etc what will happen. I'm still looking into sumps, I'm going to ask my LFS is they would be able to drill for me or have a used one, etc. I also was thinking about getting a powerhead, I just have no outlet space right now so I need to do some moving around.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling tanks is easy. Lots of videos on it as well. Main thing you need is the glass hole drilling bit and a power drill.

If you go that route, I suggest an external overflow.

If you go that route, I would suggest upgrading to a 40 breeder and drilling that. Set up the sump, then transfer contents over.

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling tanks is easy. Lots of videos on it as well. Main thing you need is the glass hole drilling bit and a power drill.

If you go that route, I suggest an external overflow.

If you go that route, I would suggest upgrading to a 40 breeder and drilling that. Set up the sump, then transfer contents over.
I would love a 40 breeder. I just don't think I have the space or money for that. How long does it take for the tank to be water ready after drilling? Like could I do it in a day?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling can be done in a few minutes. It's letting the silicone cure that will take some time. I assume you would use some sort of overflow

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling can be done in a few minutes. It's letting the silicone cure that will take some time. I assume you would use some sort of overflow
Hmm true. I would need to figure out a solution to hold my inhabitants while it cures. Unless I run it at 3/4 water level or something

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the frags! Including the GSP. The diatoms are starting to spread everywhere. I think I need more snails and a shorter photo period for now.

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the first page of my build thread for opinions on drilling a running tank.

To keep it short, it's not advised haha. Perhaps a HOB overflow is the solution here. You can run one with a Tom aqua lifter (to keep suction) with great success. Have two drains heading down to the sump. One main one emergency. Durso standpipe style will work for the main drain and be rather quiet

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the first page of my build thread for opinions on drilling a running tank.

To keep it short, it's not advised haha. Perhaps a HOB overflow is the solution here. You can run one with a Tom aqua lifter (to keep suction) with great success. Have two drains heading down to the sump. One main one emergency. Durso standpipe style will work for the main drain and be rather quiet
Thanks, I'll check it out.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t have the fish in the tank while drilling, glass shavings could go down into the tank and cause problems. There are some brands of silicone that can cure in just a couple hours. I’d still advise drilling the tank and finding them a different place for a day or so. But if that’s not possible than go with a HOB overflow as suggested.

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it works well? I have found a used 30 gallon I could buy for $30. If I buy that, I could drill that and prepare it and then move everything over to that tank once it's ready.would my 20 gallon work well as a sump?

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would work perfectly, that sounds like a great idea. A detailed plan would be:
- determining what filter media to use in the sump (I'd recommend chemi-pure elite and seagel along with biomedia)
- buying and drilling the 30 gallon, then adding the overflow box and attaching it with silicone (allowing a day for it to cure)
- Moving all the inhabitants over to the 30 gallon and setting up powerheads to keep the water moving, you won't really have any filtration for a day (you will likely need a larger light too)
- buying and cutting/getting cut the baffles for the sump (I can redesign for a 20 gallon if you send me all the measurements)
- attaching the new baffles to the sump and letting them cure
- Attach the correct plumbing and then you can start it up

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need to drill the 30 gallon with the overflow? I thought it was one or the other. Also can you send a plan for the 20 gallon sump? It's the standard 24"x12"x16"

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll take me a bit to make. You buy the overflow box. Hob overflow works by siphon, not excess water per say. Drilling is (in my experience) far more dependable in the long run.

OP
OP
Corey Shelk

Corey Shelk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it, the more I realize starting the process of a sump is a huge investment. I picked up the 30 gallon today and I know I'll already need a new light which is a large expense. And then I'll need to buy the pumps, pvc, baffles, etc. How bad would it be if I just moved everything to the 30 gallon? Although maybe I would have to part with Langston. Or if I just keep them in the 20 gallon and part with Langston anyways?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back