OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a planted tank for about 6 months. Ironically, it was a "20 long", lol. I broke it down and swapped it out for a nuvo 20 AIO and it's currently my 2nd reef tank. I personally found keeping the planted tank more tedious than a reef. As beautiful as it was, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. 20201113_195400.jpg
Planted tanks are definitely difficult to maintain. I’ve already lost a few plants randomly, and I only recently converted my mbuna tank into my first high tech planted tank. They seem to have very strange demands when it comes to the water quality.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planted tanks are definitely difficult to maintain. I’ve already lost a few plants randomly. They seem to have very strange demands when it comes to the water quality.
I struggled with algae. For the life of me, I couldn't keep nutrients under control. It got really ugly towards the end and once the baby tears started to wither away I just gave up. I personally find reefs easier. I do miss my planted tank sometimes tho.

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, true. This particular species is actually unique from other puffers. Their species name is colomesus, which means “deformed back”. They have a more slender and bony build because they come from extremely fast streams in the Amazon. Because of this, they also have no territorial instincts so are often nicknamed the “peaceful puffer”. They also carry saxitoxin rather than the usual tetrodotoxin.
I figured the body shape was species specific. They don't have the bulk that most puffers do. They almost don't even look like puffers if you just glance at them

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the body shape was species specific. They don't have the bulk that most puffers do. They almost don't even look like puffers if you just glance at them
Yeah. They certainly have the personality of puffers though, minus the aggression. They’re also extremely skittish, so prefer schools.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That personality is the best part of having them. If only I could trust one in my reef....
Man, I wish there was a 100% reef safe puffer. Like filefish, if there wasn’t that risk, I’d totally have one (also assuming my reef was bigger).

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I wish there was a 100% reef safe puffer. Like filefish, if there wasn’t that risk, I’d totally have one (also assuming my reef was bigger).
I have the room, just not willing to risk my reef. Maybe in a few years when we upgrade to a 300+ gallon tank. I'll convert my 180 to a predator tank.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of planted tanks....I have a dojo loach that made a full speed attempt to jump through the glass lid. I was down the hall in another room and it was loud enough that I thought a bird had flown into a window. He lay upside down on the bottom for 4 days. Right side up on the bottom for a few more. It's all good today after a few hundred "please don't die!" from me. OK, the end.
1620866880937.png

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're thinking of having a house built, and I love the look of in wall tanks, but it also makes it harder to sell the house.
That it does but they look great. My house was build in '64 so no major renovations are planned. I'd do a peninsula tank on a half wall.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of planted tanks....I have a dojo loach that made a full speed attempt to jump through the glass lid. I was down the hall in another room and it was loud enough that I though a bird had flown into a window. He lay upside down on the bottom for 4 days. But, he wasn't dead - just mostly dead. Right side up on the bottom for a few more. It's all good today after a few hundred "please don't die!" from me. OK, the end.
1620866880937.png
I’m so glad to hear that!!

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of planted tanks....I have a dojo loach that made a full speed attempt to jump through the glass lid. I was down the hall in another room and it was loud enough that I thought a bird had flown into a window. He lay upside down on the bottom for 4 days. Right side up on the bottom for a few more. It's all good today after a few hundred "please don't die!" from me. OK, the end.
1620866880937.png
"Mostly dead is still slightly alive."- I despise these words in my line of work but in this case, I'm glad the little idiot made it!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1620866880937.png
Bet he had a migraine

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back