200-300 par good enough for SPS?

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrowed a Apogee full spectrum par meter from a friend to see how light its currently outputting and adjusting my light setting to get the numbers Im looking for. My current par readings is as follows (dont mind the hair algae, I forgot to take an updated photo of my tank)
1715530498214.png

The numbers do look a bit weird as par level seem to climb back up the deeper you go, but the rocks at the bottom are also closer to the glass. It did look weird to me, but measuring par levels at the front glass do seem to result in higher par numbers probably due to the reflection.

My light was sitting at 60% intensity but the par levels werent all that high so I adjusted it to 80% and lowered my light 1" which gave the above reading. What are you thoughts on my par numbers? You think its good enough for SPS?

My friend doesnt its nearly enough since he keeps his tank at 500 par+. I could bump up the intensity to 100% and lower the light another 1" but it would definitely wont bump my par levels to 500+. I could get a high intensity lens for my fixture which would lower the beam angle down from 120degrees to 70degrees but should help significantly increase par levels as well

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok for basic SPS like stylos, monti digi, etc... but if you want the higher end more difficult acros, millies, then you need 300 to 450.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your mag glass scraper in the tank. I never left mine in my tank as I have heard horror stories of the slightest crack or whatever and water leaks in and causes rust and issues in a tank....

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your mag glass scraper in the tank. I never left mine in my tank as I have heard horror stories of the slightest crack or whatever and water leaks in and causes rust and issues in a tank....
I had that glass scraper in my tank for 10+ years and havent had any issues with it.

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a full acro tank with PAR ranging from 200 - 350 and everything grows amazingly well. Never had an issue with this tank or the last tank.

Those #'s you have is very similar to what I'm running.
Thanks thats good to know.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok for basic SPS like stylos, monti digi, etc... but if you want the higher end more difficult acros, millies, then you need 300 to 450.

Not sure I agree with this. I feel like spread and availability of light is more important than the number. Some of my best/colorful "higher end" SPS are doing great at 280.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I agree with this. I feel like spread and availability of light is more important than the number. Some of my best/colorful "higher end" SPS are doing great at 280.
Each tank is unique. Numbers are just general guidelines based on past practices but not the 11th commandment.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back