200 Gallon Nuvo EXT Peninsula Build (mixed reef)

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. Congrats.
How do you like the Biota Yellow Tangs? Did you purchase them small? Are they coloring up? I just purchased a trio but as known they are very pale. They are healthy otherwise. Just hoping they will color up like that Hawaiian yellows we are used to. Looking forward to your updates.
I love them. They said they ship around 80 days old, so when i got them they were maybe 2 inches. Very pale, almost see through. These guys are really turning yellow though. In the 4 months they are at least double in size and pretty bright yellow. I am not sure if they are as yellow as the wild ones but these guys love to eat, have good color, and are really thick already. The best part is they are just babies still and from a bio secure place. I have almost no worries about disease, parasites, or that the fish is real old and mean or wont eat or something.

I have had wild yellows before but it was a long time ago.

In other words, i like them a ton!!

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. Congrats.
How do you like the Biota Yellow Tangs? Did you purchase them small? Are they coloring up? I just purchased a trio but as known they are very pale. They are healthy otherwise. Just hoping they will color up like that Hawaiian yellows we are used to. Looking forward to your updates.

my BIOTA yellow was almost a transparent white when I got it 8-ish months ago but after a month or two it became the very vibrant yellow you’d expect out of a wild one!

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear guy. I'm looking forward to my biota YTs to color up. I agree they eat like pigs even as babies.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellows came about 4 months ago, the purple around 2 weeks ago. Everyone is getting along fine, i think having so many and it being a pretty large tank helps a lot. There are no ripped up fins or anything. They do chase each other around some. Everyone is fat and happy looking. The yellows did beat pick at each other for a couple weeks off and on when I added them.

Same deal for the six line and timor, i had heard not to do any wrasses with the six line but the timor and him dont care about each other one bit.

I love them. They said they ship around 80 days old, so when i got them they were maybe 2 inches. Very pale, almost see through. These guys are really turning yellow though. In the 4 months they are at least double in size and pretty bright yellow. I am not sure if they are as yellow as the wild ones but these guys love to eat, have good color, and are really thick already. The best part is they are just babies still and from a bio secure place. I have almost no worries about disease, parasites, or that the fish is real old and mean or wont eat or something.

I have had wild yellows before but it was a long time ago.

In other words, i like them a ton!!

glad all the fish are getting on.
good to hear about the CB -YT I was always turned off as they where so pale and grow looking glad they are turning fill yellow.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all hiding against a wall so thats the best angle I have. Basically the back side of the stand is totally open and you just run the plumbing in that way. Hope that helps.

For what its worth, if you are neat with the plumbing and dont mind seeing it a little bit from the side, the super clean back wall inside the tank looks amazing.
The INT version is probably much easier to plumb though and has less restrictive piping because your returns can shoot straight up from your sump and your drains do not have to travel as far.

1666965110017.png

1666965128597.png

OK logistics question here.
how much space did you leave behind the tank to plumb it? or did you plum it then lift the tank on the stand?

any tips and tricks or thinks you learned along the way?
things you would do different?

cheers

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK logistics question here.
how much space did you leave behind the tank to plumb it? or did you plum it then lift the tank on the stand?

any tips and tricks or thinks you learned along the way?
things you would do different?

cheers
I plummed it in place. There is 2 or 3 inches between the back of the overflow and the wall.

I did learn a few things.
My drains are too long. They could easily be 1 ft shorter inside the stand.

The second is just that the thing weighs 500 lbs. Like really. It's not moving or sliding or shimmying or nudging or anything else. It has got to be perfect before your helpers leave.

I used a pond liner to line the inside of the cabinet so drips and spills don't end up on my floor. It could probably hold 15 gallons so it would catch a pretty nasty leak and give you time.

Finally, this was my first build with a sump, so I did not realize how long it would all take. I prioritized bring neat because it's all out in the open. You probably know already but give yourself time, make a plan, and be patient, it's a heck of a project! It's also fun.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plummed it in place. There is 2 or 3 inches between the back of the overflow and the wall.

I did learn a few things.
My drains are too long. They could easily be 1 ft shorter inside the stand.

The second is just that the thing weighs 500 lbs. Like really. It's not moving or sliding or shimmying or nudging or anything else. It has got to be perfect before your helpers leave.

I used a pond liner to line the inside of the cabinet so drips and spills don't end up on my floor. It could probably hold 15 gallons so it would catch a pretty nasty leak and give you time.

Finally, this was my first build with a sump, so I did not realize how long it would all take. I prioritized bring neat because it's all out in the open. You probably know already but give yourself time, make a plan, and be patient, it's a heck of a project! It's also fun.

perfect thanks. yeah that is what I was wondering how the heck where you abel to slide the tank ( if you did)

plumbing is always a big project, at 3 trips to the hardware store mim.

SavvySalv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. What water level is your sump operating at? Will the 60 breeder sump hold all the water in case the power goes out and water drains from the overflow?

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. What water level is your sump operating at? Will the 60 breeder sump hold all the water in case the power goes out and water drains from the overflow?
I have it at 2/3 water level, maybe 10 or 11 inches. When I shut the pumps off and the tank drains down it holds it all. I do have check valves on the returns.

I used the water volume calculator on BRS to calculate what 1 inch of water in the big tank was and measured how many inches have to drain before it's below the weir and return bulkheads. Then I figured out how many inches in the 60 were needed to hold that amount of water and set my top of to be less than that.

OP
OP
Reef Altitude

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a swallowtail angel and some wwc coral club corals in the last few weeks.

Also picked up some maxspec xf350s to deal with 6' flow.

The bubble tips are taking over. There are 4 now!

Attachments

• 16833306985408426995024588316720.jpg
    16833306985408426995024588316720.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 16833307390193896315714549861862.jpg
    16833307390193896315714549861862.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 16833307497623371231201159014642.jpg
    16833307497623371231201159014642.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 58

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought this exact tank! How are you making out with the a500x? I was thinking about using 3 of them for my build

Mario Demel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can I get few pictures of the external sump design and thickness of the acrylic sheet that on the back glass please. I’m trying to custom made the same tank to my dimensions

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back