200 Gallon Quarter Round Reef

JPG@CFI

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2013
Messages
122
Reaction score
46
Location
Seattle, Wa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R,

Here is a few pic's of my 200 Gallon Quarter Round Reef build. I will be building everything from scratch. Steel stand, Cherry face frame with doors, and a matching Cherry Canopy, as well as the acrylic tank, and acrylic Reef Filter.
I have a custom Fabrication Shop, and do this for a living for the past 20 years or so. Just wanted to share with you guys, and it is not my intention to troll for new business.

Here is the start of the steel frame, gotta start with a solid foundation. All 2x2x 3/16" wall mild steel. We bent 2- 10' pieces of the 2x2 into shape, then added the 48" 90 degree sides.


We use steel dogs to keep the steel from moving around while welding. The table is a 1943 vintage Acorn table that is 3" thick in the middle, and 6" thick on the outside. It weighs 4500 pounds or so. Using this table keeps everything flat and strait/square.


Adding a support piece, and the plumbing will be going through this back corner area.


Putting the Heat on it! I love this part! I started to weld when I was 8 years old with my dad.


This is the top of the stand almost done.


I weld in steel tubes for the bolt that hold the face frame on. This prevents humidity from entering the interior of the steel stand. Time consuming, but well worth it.


Her is the bottom starting to be attached.


The front leg has to be removable to get the filter in place, and this is how we do this. All marine grade Stainless Hardware.


This is how she looks all finished. Will be Powder Coating this a nice grey very soon.


Look for more updates soon, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask! J
 
Good work on the stand. Looking forward to your build! You don't see too many quarter round tanks.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new