200 Gallon: tank leak

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year I noticed some water dripping off the sides of my stand and the plywood covering was also wet. Broke down the tank and sold off everything I had and now want to start over.

I’ve searched some threads here and it seems some if not most people cut away the existing silicone on the inside of the tank and apply a new bead... But that doesn’t right with me knowing that water escaped through the silicone that sandwiches the panes together.

I definitely don’t want to deal with a failed seam down the road.

Which leads me to: just apply a new bead on the inside? Or try and find a builder who can take it apart and re seal everything from the ground up? It’s a Lee Mar and they’re no longer in business.
Thanks in advance. If this is the wrong forum feel free to move.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new bead of silicone is just a bandaid at best and I would never trust it. If the seam leaked in one place it may leak in others. If it were me I'd get it fully disassembled and resealed or just buy a new tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A common misperception I’d imagine. Once the structural integrity of the tank has begun to fail, a cosmetic ‘re-seal’ is not an appropriate fix .... though, of course, there is always that person who claims a reseal fixed their tank. If you want to reseal for cosmetic reasons, have at it, but for a truly leaking tank a rebuild is required.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to take the glass panel that was leaking off and reseal the whole thing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back