2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just checking to see what you guys think about all of this:

upload_2018-9-20_17-57-30.png

upload_2018-9-20_17-58-43.png

Now the recommendation mentions about potential corruption, but I was given the blanket non-sense about environmental, yada, yada, yada.

I have a completely new router now. Mind you that the only device that I have this issue with IS this particular 2016 Apex.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up just bitting the bullet and buying the Google Wifi Mesh routers for my entire house. Working out great right now. Does suck that even though I was still getting a decent signal that the Apex wouldn't stay connected. My laptop and other devices stayed connected to my wifi network and I am literally in the same area of the fish tanks. Guess this is one of those poor quality issues that I will add to my list for the Apex so when it does die, I will not be investing more into it.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Still getting dropped connections from the Apex connecting to Fusion. Even with a house full of Google Wifi I STILL cannot keep these freaking Apex connected to Fusion. Now isn't that just dandy. And when they disconnect, they are smart enough to even try to reconnect. You have to power cycle them; at least that is the only way I can get it connected again.

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOTE: EVERYTHING else in the house is loving the Google Wifi EXCEPT the Apex Controllers.
i got a netgear wifi range extender that plugs into an outlet it also has an ethernet port which allowed me to hard wire it too my apex no more connection drops now i was at like 200-300 disconnects a day? something like that lol

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a hardline to the Apex that should solve the problem. I run my two (2) classic and Apex on hard-lines without any drops.

To me wi-fi is not robust enough for critical connections.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get what you guys are saying, but when you pay this amount of money for a device that supports wifi and it continues to have issues, don't you think that there really is a flaw with the device and it should be handled by Neptune Systems some kind of way?

I am in IT and have been for over 20 years and there are instances where you need to rely on a wifi signal. A reliable wifi AP will not drop connection. I've rolled out massive Cisco enterprise wifi controllers/access points and never experienced the issues like I am with the Apex. To give you an idea, I have my Alkatronic literally a foot away from the Apex and it doesn't loose signal like the Apex.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try giving the controller a static IP.

I setup IP reservations for both units. The only disconnects that I have had since have not been network disconnects, but Fusion disconnects. Problem is the unit won't reconnect to Fusion and I have to unplug it once that happens. Has been much better with the Google Wifi pucks than it was with the wifi from the router.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup IP reservations for both units. The only disconnects that I have had since have not been network disconnects, but Fusion disconnects. Problem is the unit won't reconnect to Fusion and I have to unplug it once that happens. Has been much better with the Google Wifi pucks than it was with the wifi from the router.

Call the google wifi 800 number... no joke... you will talk to a human in less than a few minutes. I was having issues with mine as well hooking up to my google wifi and they walked me through everything... Works great now

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well freaking Fusion acting up again. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if the Apex would reconnect back to Fusion, but it doesn't. I am having to unplug the unit then plug it in again to get back connected to Fusion. The wifi isn't the issue, it is the connection to Fusion that is the problem.

upload_2018-10-15_10-26-50.png

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another drop that requires reboot

7a0f1973e26e85c79cc4b3319b37ba5f.png

Been disconnected since yesterday so the heartbeat feature does what again? It definitely isn’t used to reestablish connectivity.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're still under warranty I would send it in and have them look at it.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a brand new one doing the same thing. Apex cs has been pretty poor so far for me. I've been emailing back and forth for going on 5 hours. Mine ran fine but would say unable to connect once in a while. Then it did it more often. Today it wouldn't reconnect. My router is brand new and works fine. I let my son test it on his Xbox playing fortnite and it ran fine for hours. Hooked back up to Apex and no connection. Went through the reset procedure etc. Still no go. My tank is 15 feet from my home router and my phone shows full bars on wifi for the Apex router. My son is upstairs and was able to game using it. The Apex rep kept having me do the obvious things which I do understand but after every test I was told my router was no good. To have a wire run to it. I live in a 2 story home so tearing out my ceilings to install the wire is not an option. But when I connect directly with a 20ft wire and restart it works fine. Then I can plug the router back in and then it works fine for a good while till again it just disconnects.
Not trying to steal the post but no reason to post a mirror copy of the same post

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a brand new one doing the same thing. Apex cs has been pretty poor so far for me. I've been emailing back and forth for going on 5 hours. Mine ran fine but would say unable to connect once in a while. Then it did it more often. Today it wouldn't reconnect. My router is brand new and works fine. I let my son test it on his Xbox playing fortnite and it ran fine for hours. Hooked back up to Apex and no connection. Went through the reset procedure etc. Still no go. My tank is 15 feet from my home router and my phone shows full bars on wifi for the Apex router. My son is upstairs and was able to game using it. The Apex rep kept having me do the obvious things which I do understand but after every test I was told my router was no good. To have a wire run to it. I live in a 2 story home so tearing out my ceilings to install the wire is not an option. But when I connect directly with a 20ft wire and restart it works fine. Then I can plug the router back in and then it works fine for a good while till again it just disconnects.
Not trying to steal the post but no reason to post a mirror copy of the same post

No worries at all. It is getting frustrating for me too. I don’t like either when you know that your WiFi isn’t the issue and it literally seems like the only “fix” is to run a cable. I like you am not about to rip holes in the wall to be able to run a cable.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really bad for me because it isn't even an option that's why I went with the Apex classic, because it was supposed to be reliable on wifi. I can run a temporary cable for updates, that's no big deal. But having doorways with solid headers between my tank and router then having the cueing with plumbing, vent work etc just isn't an option. Hopefully you have some luck. My CS rep pretty much sent me a copy paste to trouble shoot saying the Apex wasn't the issue. That if I still had issues after checking plugs and so forth I just needed to run a wire. Then no more responses to emails about following through with the troubleshooting steps. Leaves a very bad taste for the company.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really bad for me because it isn't even an option that's why I went with the Apex classic, because it was supposed to be reliable on wifi. I can run a temporary cable for updates, that's no big deal. But having doorways with solid headers between my tank and router then having the cueing with plumbing, vent work etc just isn't an option. Hopefully you have some luck. My CS rep pretty much sent me a copy paste to trouble shoot saying the Apex wasn't the issue. That if I still had issues after checking plugs and so forth I just needed to run a wire. Then no more responses to emails about following through with the troubleshooting steps. Leaves a very bad taste for the company.

I just wish that if it looses connection that it reconnects itself without having to be manually reset. You would think that the wifi module can be triggered to restart is there isn't a heartbeat or something. I can deal with the disconnect, just not one that renders the device useless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back