2016 Apex Reboots Itself Randomly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2016 Apex with two EB8, 3 Dos and a Trident. Rondomly, the system shuts off and back on. My aquarium lights turn off, pumps turn off, ATO beeps, all the noise from the siphon and such wake us up...I can’t figure out what is causing this. Today, I spent hours doing a factory reset on the apex, reprogrammed everything and less than two hours later the same thing happened. Can anyone help me figure this out? All firmware is up to date. No other items that use the internet show outages. I am connected via WIFI. Thanks for any help.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is a microcomputer and as such usually have issues like this when the power supply is faulty. If you have a chance to try an another one that would conform it.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those EB8 or EB832s?
This issue is commonly caused by AquaBus circuitry fault on one of the modules. Either the 12v power from one of EB832s is shorting or the data circuit.

I just repaired a faulty Apex display with a blown CAN transceiver for a customer. I'll post the repair video and the article soon, but the issue was nearly identical to yours. With the plugged in display, the headunit would reboot periodically. The cause was a partially blown CAN transceiver on the display, which implements AquaBus communication. The display was still working but was corrupting the Aquabus signal to the head unit eventually causing it to lose it's mind and reboot.

My advice is to isolate the issue, methodically unplug modules one by one until you no longer experience the problem. If the faulty module is valuable enough, it may be worth repairing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddrueckh

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I have EB8’s. Guess I will get a EB832 and try swapping one at a time. I just hate to buy parts that may not be faulty. Might up spending more than just buying a whole new system.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need to buy anything yet. Just find a way to temporarily disconnect one module at a time and do manual tasks while waiting. If your issue otherwise occurs consistently every couple of hours, you won't have to wait too long to find out.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was doing the same thing. Ended up being a bad display. Unplug the display and see if it continues. Like above, display looked fine.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a display.
You had a good advice before. Unplug modules 1 by one to see if any of them resolve the issue or you can go reverse. Unplug everything and see if you still have issue. If not start to plug in things to see which one causes it. Depending on how often you have the issues and how many modules you have you should have your answer in a day or two

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back