2018 Las Vegas MACNA Conference Discount

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a limited number of discounts for the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America to be held September 7-9 in Las Vegas. The discount is $10 for a full conference pass. See here for details:
http://macnaconference.org/2018/
If interested, PM me and I'll give you the code.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could gooooooo!!!! :confused:

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the code for anyone interested in the discount code for the 2108 MACNA in Las Vegas:
MACNAspeaker10off

GuntertCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to go, can I get some info from you? I have looked over the website but I am still confused. I work for a LFS too if that helps with getting in. I am in Stockton and will be flying to Las Vegas to check this out. What is the difference with the passes, what workshop is it? Will there be coral to buy? I saw the R2R is doing something on Saturday, does that mean they will be there or is that just something they are doing online? I am only staying the night, thought I would fly in Sat and leave Sun.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually going to be in town those same days for a totally different conference. Is there a particular day or anything that would be more worthwhile?

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to go, can I get some info from you? I have looked over the website but I am still confused. I work for a LFS too if that helps with getting in. I am in Stockton and will be flying to Las Vegas to check this out. What is the difference with the passes, what workshop is it? Will there be coral to buy? I saw the R2R is doing something on Saturday, does that mean they will be there or is that just something they are doing online? I am only staying the night, thought I would fly in Sat and leave Sun.
You can email to confirm with the MACNA folks, but I believe the 'floor pass' (looks like they have a daily or full weekend now) only gives you access to the vendor floor. It doesn't give access to the speaker room or workshops. The 'full conference pass' (well worth it) gives you access to the floor, speakers (all 3 days), and fri/sat night banquets (these are always a blast).

As far as the workshops, it's kind of like an expanded speaker platform usually demoing products or how to's.

That weekend floor pass looks like a great bargain though if the speakers/workshops aren't you're thing. You can't get into some frag swaps for that price (divide that price out by the days). Just re-read your statement and would only stay a day or two. If so, the day pass is probably your fit. But I highly recommend trying to get there for the full event all 3 days.

And yes there is always plenty of coral at the show! Been to the last 5 or so and there's always something new to see!

GuntertCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can email to confirm with the MACNA folks, but I believe the 'floor pass' (looks like they have a daily or full weekend now) only gives you access to the vendor floor. It doesn't give access to the speaker room or workshops. The 'full conference pass' (well worth it) gives you access to the floor, speakers (all 3 days), and fri/sat night banquets (these are always a blast).

As far as the workshops, it's kind of like an expanded speaker platform usually demoing products or how to's.

That weekend floor pass looks like a great bargain though if the speakers/workshops aren't you're thing. You can't get into some frag swaps for that price (divide that price out by the days). Just re-read your statement and would only stay a day or two. If so, the day pass is probably your fit. But I highly recommend trying to get there for the full event all 3 days.

And yes there is always plenty of coral at the show! Been to the last 5 or so and there's always something new to see!

Thank you for the info, how and what do I need for the frag swap? How would I get coral there and back? I have never been to one of these but I have a flight vouture that will pay for the flight and 2 hotel stays and then the 3rd one I will stay at the $49 price. Again thank you for any info I have read all I can on the MACNA site

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info, how and what do I need for the frag swap? How would I get coral there and back? I have never been to one of these but I have a flight vouture that will pay for the flight and 2 hotel stays and then the 3rd one I will stay at the $49 price. Again thank you for any info I have read all I can on the MACNA site
Honestly, I've always put corals in a cooler in my checked bag. I know plenty of other folks that have too. I've never had any issues. Some hobbyists put them on their carry on's.

Just within the last year TSA added language for 'live coral'. They've always had guidelines about live fish. It's ok to carry on but not officially in a checked bag. They just swab the fish bag for explosives & make sure they're swimming. I've done this twice without issue (had the guidelines ready on my phone). I still put coral in my checked bag since my frag cooler is much smaller.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-coral
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-fish

One thing to keep in mind is the airline probably has their own rules (whether written/unwritten). So it's kind of tricky. Maybe you can get written confirmation from the airline to be 100% safe. I've heard of hobbyists not being able to get on a plane b/c they tried to bring it on the plane (carry on) & the airline didn't let them. So they ended up renting a car for the ride home. I guess the best case scenario is to overnight your stuff home but the show ends on Sunday.

FWIW, I've had my 'randomly' checked bag checked by TSA after the xray machine & everything's been fine with the coral.

If you do a search on R2R, you'll see some prior discussions on this too.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go here:
http://macnaconference.org/2018/
and click 'Contact Us' with any questions. I see brick and mortar stores can get free passes, but that's about all I know (I'm just a speaker at MACNA, and don't have all the details.) MACNAs are amazing - it's a trade show with lots of equipment and corals for sale, speakers, etc.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't go, but I'm stoked for when your presentation hits the Internet.
Thanks! The presentation is about coral coloration and how some parameters can affect fluorescent and non-fluorescent proteins. It has taken months to put together and I'm happy with it. The video will probably be posted somewhere, but I don't think it will show the following Q&A session, later discussions over a beer/dinner, etc. Those exchanges are a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me how I would get coral home if I am flying?
See pugcrush's note above. As for me, I put the corals in my checked bag (corals are bagged up in as little water as possible and put in a plastic container marked 'Live Corals.' I've also transported soft corals wrapped up in a wet paper towel and then placed in a sealed plastic container.)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked today and the MACNA 2018 app was in the App Store. [emoji3][emoji106]

MACNA 2018 by MACNAhttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macna-2018/id1405046430?mt=8

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back