20G Nano Tank

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Posted over a year after tank was setup)

My first marine tank. Decided to go with a 20G nano peninsula tank.

Equipment:
Tank: TMC Next Wave 85
Light: TMC Reef Ion 30
Wavemakers: TMC Reef Flow 2.0 Nano 1000, Sicce Voyager Nano 1000

Rock/Sand
Rock: TMC Eco Reef Rock
Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive

Fish:
- 2x Ocellaris Clownfish
- 1x Red Firefish
- 1x Tailspot Blenny

Corals:
- 1x Frogspawn
- 1x Hammer
- 1x Candy Cane
- 1x Duncan
- 4x Rhodactis Mushrooms
- 1x Photosynthetic Gorgonian
- 1x Green Star Polyp
- 1x Montipora Digitata
- 1x Montipora Capricornis

Inverts:
- 1x Cleaner Shrimp
- 1x Peppermint shrimp
- 1x Hermit Crab
- 1x Trochus snail
- 2x Turbo snails
- 4x Nassarius snails

Testing/Dosing/Salt:
Testing: Salifert
Dosing: Tropic Marin All For Reef
Salt: Red Sea Blue Bucket

Tank on setup day (December 2022)
Screenshot_20240117-194245_Gallery.jpg

As expected, the tank was cloudy for a few days
Screenshot_20240117-194302_Gallery.jpg

I got my first fish in February 2023, which were a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. As for my first coral, I actually added that before the fish in January 2023 just to give it a shot, I got a candy cane coral and it did not last long (around 1 month)

However, my first coral that I got and still have today was a Duncan coral, which I got shortly after the first fish (February 2023)

The first problem I encountered was a cyanobacteria outbreak (March 2023)
I just left it to go on its own however, it got too bad so I eventually used a turkey baster and blasted the sand. Unfortunately, that then led onto my next problem, which was a bacterial bloom.

Screenshot_20240117-200736_Gallery.jpg

After dealing with the tank looking like this for a few weeks, I went and purchased a nano UV sterilizer. This worked extremely well and cleared up the bloom in just a few days.

Since this is being posted over a year after the setup, I will fast forward to January 2024 and post the tank how things are today and update from here.

Main differences are:
Tank has been moved
Added more rock
Added more livestock

20240228_191057.jpg

20240228_191110.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20/02/2024 - Update

New Eco Reef rock and cleaner shrimp added

Photosynthetic gorgonian was also moved

Planning on getting a lot of montiporas and birdsnest corals on the new rock

Note: Polyp extension reduced on a few corals here since the light went off for a while to allow the new shrimp to settle in
20240120_221003.jpg

20240120_221241.jpg

Last edited:

stevo_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’ve had my tmc next wave 85 running for 4 weeks now. Do you find any issues in the rear chamber with little water movement near the heater and pump? Thanks

stevo_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’ve had my tmc next wave 85 running for 4 weeks now. Do you find any issues in the rear chamber with little water movement near the heater and pump? Thanks

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Hi,
In my experience, the water movement in the rear chamber is very stagnant, not just near the heater or pump, but the whole area, I don't think it has caused me any problems, but there is lots of dust from the room that sets on the surface

stevo_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
In my experience, the water movement in the rear chamber is very stagnant, not just near the heater or pump, but the whole area, I don't think it has caused me any problems, but there is lots of dust from the room that sets on the surface
Thanks mate, I thought as much. Loving your tank and the torch coral they look so cool. Good to see how they progress from the very early stages.

I’ve looked on the hose from pump and I have what I think is cyano on it as well as the suction pads for my heater but no signs of it anywhere else in back or main tank. So wasn’t sure if it was the lack of flow at the back that’s caused it or even 100% if it is cyano as it’s red. I plan to tackle it today with a water change.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate, I thought as much. Loving your tank and the torch coral they look so cool. Good to see how they progress from the very early stages.

I’ve looked on the hose from pump and I have what I think is cyano on it as well as the suction pads for my heater but no signs of it anywhere else in back or main tank. So wasn’t sure if it was the lack of flow at the back that’s caused it or even 100% if it is cyano as it’s red. I plan to tackle it today with a water change.
Thanks!

Yup, the plumbing on my return pump also has red cyano looking stuff coating it

I am not an expert on algae control, but I know the basics. At least in my experience, cyanobacteria growth is very dependant on flow. When I added new rock, it created new deadspots where it allowed cyano to set on the sandbed and spread, keeping the sandbed high in flow should help keep it under control

stevo_87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yup, the plumbing on my return pump also has red cyano looking stuff coating it

I am not an expert on algae control, but I know the basics. At least in my experience, cyanobacteria growth is very dependant on flow. When I added new rock, it created new deadspots where it allowed cyano to set on the sandbed and spread, keeping the sandbed high in flow should help keep it under control
Thanks, what a nightmare that was I bet. Thanks for the advice.

Being a new to the hobby, I find my self panicking at everything imagining the worst case haha

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, what a nightmare that was I bet. Thanks for the advice.

Being a new to the hobby, I find my self panicking at everything imagining the worst case haha
Yeah that's normal to panic over things

Anything that seems even a little bit off I'm straight to the forums

Thing is, there is always something new happening in ours tanks, which I suppose is what makes it enjoyable

I mean, I've only been doing this for a year, but what I've gathered from my experience and other people is that patience is key, and that there's always going to be something to learn and research, which is also key to success

It'd be cool if you made a build thread, I'd love to see the progress of another next wave 85 owner :)

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back