20g sump build

mrwizard421

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2015
Messages
69
Reaction score
20
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I've been wanting to build a sump for sometime now, hiding the undesirable look of mechanicals like heaters wires my hang on cpr bak-pak etc.. I have a glass undrilled 55g i bought cheap so i started researching sumps and other ideas like canister filters, but still i like to do it myself. So i decided the sump but now i need to simplify it the best i can for my family to learn and help with.. Well enough blabbering this is what I've come up with.
20160229_014908.jpg
20160229_184414.jpg
pvc-overflow-figure2.png
20160229_184515.jpg
20160229_192315.jpg
20160302_141025.jpg
20160302_140940.jpg
 
This is my setup on my 20g long
Left to right
Drain/fill/skimmer, filter socks, fuge, return

1456989808868.jpg


1456989853848.jpg
 
Do I understand this right? You're going to skim the water first, then have it pass through the socks?
 
Hmn, I'm no expert but I've always seen filter socks first, then skimmer.
 
I definetly recommend the sock right after the drain.. Your pumps will last longer without any material bigger than whatever micron you're using
 
Here is my update on my 20g. I know that I gotta remove the sand (flow to strong) 2) do I need 2 raise up my sock holder the water lvl 2 high i think. 3) How do I get more (higher water lvl n the return?
20201103_172155.jpg
left to right
Drain & skimmer 2) filter socks 3) fuge minus sand 4) return.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new