20L Frag + 29 Display System with 12g Sump

enlighten

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2023
Messages
587
Reaction score
362
Location
Clovis
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2896.jpeg
Starting up a new build thread! This is my current setup, I have a 20L Aqueon Frag tank, 29 Visio Dislay tank, tied together with 2 Eshopps Overflow boxes into a 12g Fiji Cube Sump.

More details coming soon but feel free to ask me anything!
 
Love both of your tanks! How long have you had them?
 
Began the 29g in May, the 20L is a new tank I got last month and cycled, then connected the two.
 
I was told my refugium needed more than 4.5watts of light so running my A160we Tuna Blue on 30%.

Overkill? Any alternative suggestions? I am getting 100 Par in the center. I also added some frags to the bottom as I had space. might add a few more too!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 114
I saw your other thread and came to check out this one to see your tanks.

If you are looking for a good LED refugium light, I am running the ACKE branded grow lights for my refugium and I'm very happy with it. On my 5g tank, I run the refugium 18hr a day and have nitrates and phosphates fully in check with it. They are 25$ a piece, so get as many as you need at 12w a piece, even if you need 4, that's a value.

In the BRStv videos about refugiums, they found that the performance of the refugium was directly related to the PAR/ PUR intensity of the light, not so much the size of the refugium. You can get amazing results with any high intensity LED grow light if you have enough watts.

Using the Kessil you are using is less than ideal. Unless your refugium is a display tank, it's best to use red heavy grow lights because they have higher par per watt ie you will get 200 par from a a360 tuna blue, but 1500 par from the a360 grow light with the same wattage. Getting 500+ par in your refugium will have huge benefits to your tank, including raising the PH significantly (my 5g runs at 8.4-8.5ph and drops quickly if I don't run the refugium 18hrs a day. If I don't run the refugium during the day, it drops to 8.1 with only the Glowrium light on the tank.
 
I saw your other thread and came to check out this one to see your tanks.

If you are looking for a good LED refugium light, I am running the ACKE branded grow lights for my refugium and I'm very happy with it. On my 5g tank, I run the refugium 18hr a day and have nitrates and phosphates fully in check with it. They are 25$ a piece, so get as many as you need at 12w a piece, even if you need 4, that's a value.

In the BRStv videos about refugiums, they found that the performance of the refugium was directly related to the PAR/ PUR intensity of the light, not so much the size of the refugium. You can get amazing results with any high intensity LED grow light if you have enough watts.

Using the Kessil you are using is less than ideal. Unless your refugium is a display tank, it's best to use red heavy grow lights because they have higher par per watt ie you will get 200 par from a a360 tuna blue, but 1500 par from the a360 grow light with the same wattage. Getting 500+ par in your refugium will have huge benefits to your tank, including raising the PH significantly (my 5g runs at 8.4-8.5ph and drops quickly if I don't run the refugium 18hrs a day. If I don't run the refugium during the day, it drops to 8.1 with only the Glowrium light on the tank.
Ill check it out!
 
Just wanted to post some pics, got the display almost where i want. And dealing with low nitrates and high phosphates atm. Also extreme bubble algae outbreak. But not stressing, letting it go xD Maybe the new emerald crabs will do some work! Also got a few nudibranchs from a local, and they ate an aptasia!!
IMG_3128.jpeg
IMG_3100.jpeg


I think there is only one visible left to get. probably more i dont see lol. Perhaps not for long!

I kinda have an abundance of frags atm, need to rehome them. Just got shipping boxes and heat packs. Any of my r2r friends interested?
IMG_3131.jpeg
IMG_3135.jpeg
 
IMG_2896.jpeg
Starting up a new build thread! This is my current setup, I have a 20L Aqueon Frag tank, 29 Visio Dislay tank, tied together with 2 Eshopps Overflow boxes into a 12g Fiji Cube Sump.

More details coming soon but feel free to ask me anything!
Those are some beautiful tanks. Feel like I wanna go frag shopping in there lol
 
Hopefully! Came here to learn more about corals and saltwater to build something nice. Space is limited atm but would love to give your frags a good home if we can make this thing work. Added Prime and FritszZyme 9 before adding the fish today.

​

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new