21 days into first cycle ever - need advice

byront

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 21 days in - doses about 1-2ppm yesterday of ammonia and this is my readings today.

I can assume that I have bacteria breaking down the ammonia, but are my nitrites still too high say I’m cycled?

Edit: ammonia went a little darker after this - but still very little compared to the start.

2D4D8705-BE7B-4F04-9148-B7F0C8452795.jpeg

jstndnhyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait until you can 2ppm ammonia and Both ammonia and nitrites are less than .25. It takes patience but you are almost there.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would Change your test kit, those are not very accurate. For basic manual testing I use salifert. Cheap and easy to use
API is very accurate when used correctly. They are simply not as precise as others. Absolutely fine for the initial cycle.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is very accurate when used correctly. They are simply not as precise as others. Absolutely fine for the initial cycle.
Agreed, just suggested a better test kit for the future

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So 21 days in - doses about 1-2ppm yesterday of ammonia and this is my readings today.

I can assume that I have bacteria breaking down the ammonia, but are my nitrites still too high say I’m cycled?

Edit: ammonia went a little darker after this - but still very little compared to the start.

Likely false readings
You need to add ammonia chloride only once
When ammonia drops to zero and remain steady at that for 5 days and nitrate is 20 or below for 5 days- you are cycled

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would get a different test kit and test. API is horrible, used it once and it said I had no ammonia when it was actually toxic. I use fluval and red sea. If another brand reads 0 across the board then youre good!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As said, the nitrite isn't toxic to marine fish. This tank is what I call "nominally established", it can handle 1 ppm of ammonia a day, but the cycle is still a bit tenuous - you could easily overwhelm it by jumping the gun and adding too many animals at one time. Go slow and buy either pre quarantined fish, or quarantine them yourself.

I find the API tests a bit difficult to read, but they do work for setting up a new tank like this.

Jay

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And please realize you have time. It's so overused in this game because we all know it's true. Resist the urge to go too fast and you will be rewarded...embrace the ugly stages. If you started with dry rock be prepared for it to leech some things like phosphate and then absorb some things until it's saturated. Keep up with the maintenance and testing and you will know your water. Don't rush in with corals ypu may not want in the future just because you can't wait...all easier said than done..lol. looks like your close to what is hopefully a long road!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would get a different test kit and test. API is horrible, used it once and it said I had no ammonia when it was actually toxic. I use fluval and red sea. If another brand reads 0 across the board then youre good!
I have done hundreds of API tests - with multiple kits - and have used RedSea, Salifert and Hanna. I have never found them to be inaccurate - except (and it's a big except) - if you don't follow the instructions exactly. I find (for some reason) - the color differences in RedSea and Salifert extremely difficult to differentiate - and I found with multiple tests of the same sample - that Hanna , though one receives a x.x or x.xx - in general they were no better. API is inexpensive and gives a general idea of the result. Take the ammonia test, for example. Many people read it as if it's anything but yellow, the ammonia is 0.25. Actually, the directions say - pick the color closest - and the result is whatever it is. This turns many false '0.25' ammonias to zero. In any case - all of the kits above are fine IMHO.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how much rock do you have?

I’ve never had nitrite show up on API but I also have never done a full traditional cycle. Maybe double check it like some other guys said if you’re questioning

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done hundreds of API tests - with multiple kits - and have used RedSea, Salifert and Hanna. I have never found them to be inaccurate - except (and it's a big except) - if you don't follow the instructions exactly. I find (for some reason) - the color differences in RedSea and Salifert extremely difficult to differentiate - and I found with multiple tests of the same sample - that Hanna , though one receives a x.x or x.xx - in general they were no better. API is inexpensive and gives a general idea of the result. Take the ammonia test, for example. Many people read it as if it's anything but yellow, the ammonia is 0.25. Actually, the directions say - pick the color closest - and the result is whatever it is. This turns many false '0.25' ammonias to zero. In any case - all of the kits above are fine IMHO.
Huh interesting. I agree with red sea, I only use their PH test. I like fluval the most out of the ones I tried! My hanna ph pen was horrible!! And yeah its possible I messed the API up but even my LFS was like stay away from them and both of the ones I trust dont even sell API for that reason!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh interesting. I agree with red sea, I only use their PH test. I like fluval the most out of the ones I tried! My hanna ph pen was horrible!! And yeah its possible I messed the API up but even my LFS was like stay away from them and both of the ones I trust dont even sell API for that reason!
They make more money on the other tests. There are at least a couple experiments out there showing that there is no difference. I'm not aware (perhaps someone else is) aware that there is a blanket study that shows they don't work or are not as accurate as posted on their website. One issue - is for example the alkalinity - the values you can obtain are really only 1 unit (I.e. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc) - if you want a value like 7.32 - API will not give you that. I believe (though not sure) - that with the alkalinity tests - if the color is between let's say 7 and 8 - you can estimate 7.5.

OP
OP
B

byront

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how much rock do you have?

I’ve never had nitrite show up on API but I also have never done a full traditional cycle. Maybe double check it like some other guys said if you’re questioning
This is my rock setup - it was dry new rock, and it wasn’t live sand either - so it’s a full new cycle from my understanding.

Used two bottles of bacteria from Dr Tim’s, so hopefully now it’s just a waiting game for a little bit longer.

Was going to get a pair of clown fish first anyways and wait a while for them to bed in.

Attachments

• 0337B7FA-4CAF-4E76-AB3F-5E19CBC976EC.jpeg
    0337B7FA-4CAF-4E76-AB3F-5E19CBC976EC.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 22

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my rock setup - it was dry new rock, and it wasn’t live sand either - so it’s a full new cycle from my understanding.

Used two bottles of bacteria from Dr Tim’s, so hopefully now it’s just a waiting game for a little bit longer.

Was going to get a pair of clown fish first anyways and wait a while for them to bed in.
Looking good. Read everything you can find written by “Randy Holmes Farley”

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice aqua scape. Clowns are a blast, I got mine one at a time a couple months apart, very young and small so I’ve been watching them slowly get bigger which is neat!

I started dry rock on my tank before I knew more about the hobby and then got some coralline base rock on a whim and all of a sudden I had all sorts of neat creatures, bivalves, amphipods, feather dusters, an extra crab, snail, and even a free sea star. Not certain if you’re trying to avoid hitchhikers or not though :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back