Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple I used for additional light to my normal led fixture. I felt they didn't provide the PAR I wanted (and I wasn't looking for much). And they ran WAY warmer (hot even) than I was comfortable with. After 6 months they went away and I tried t5s instead. Not a big fan of them as supplemental light either. Just my experience.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are .5 watt leds driven to .41 watts according to the math I see , so in effect total garbage for lighting a reef tank, and yeah they would run blazing hot like Ron said , not worth it you need at least 1w leds to make a good fixture thats going to perform like we need.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it you are trying to do? Are you looking to go led for the first time? Or are you just trying to supplement your current light?

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it you are trying to do? Are you looking to go led for the first time? Or are you just trying to supplement your current light?

I am trying to get lights for my first build and be done in case I do go sps it's not a plan but I want to have the option. And for a 120g it will be alot of money to light.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4' long 120g tank can be lit by 2 Mars Aqua led fixtures or even 1 32" Mars Aqua and for about $200.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that Mars don't work for too long though. In 2 years I will need new ones and I'm 400$ in

I've never heard that complaint about Mars Aquas. They are 3 watt leds run at only 1.8 watts where other brands run 3 watt leds at 2.2 watts. There are other black box leds that are good if you don't like the Mars Aqua.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of EverGrow black boxes over my 180g tank. The lights worked for 5 years and I scraped them because I went to a smaller tank and the old metal cases were rusty. Now they are almost all aluminum and powder coated rather than painted.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have heard Mars LEDs are not as bad as other black boxes. I am just very conflicted about the lights I need. I know the answer is just bite the bullet and get a good pair of LEDs. This isn't a cheap hobby and I shouldn't be trying to make it that way.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black boxes are great. The rumors about longevity appear to be nonsense. I've run many black boxes for many years and seen two dimmer switches die at about 5 yrs. Thats all.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have heard Mars LEDs are not as bad as other black boxes. I am just very conflicted about the lights I need. I know the answer is just bite the bullet and get a good pair of LEDs. This isn't a cheap hobby and I shouldn't be trying to make it that way.

A lot of reefers argue about lighting all the time. IMHO as long as you have enough PAR and lean toward more blue than white light, your corals will do OK. It doesn't matter if it's MH, t5, led or some form of hybrid, they all work.

You are absolutely right about the fact that this isn't a cheap hobby. But if you don't get grandiose ideas and stretch way out over your realistic budget, it doesn't have to be crazy expensive. And giving your tank time to mature and grow, it can look great and doesn't have to cost a fortune.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefers argue about lighting all the time. IMHO as long as you have enough PAR and lean toward more blue than white light, your corals will do OK. It doesn't matter if it's MH, t5, led or some form of hybrid, they all work.

You are absolutely right about the fact that this isn't a cheap hobby. But if you don't get grandiose ideas and stretch way out over your realistic budget, it doesn't have to be crazy expensive. And giving your tank time to mature and grow, it can look great and doesn't have to cost a fortune.
This is why I am asking questions about equipment as I come to them. I want to research everything that I can to set myself up for success. I want to start this tank ready for anything. Went with a 120g instead of 40b so I have more options. I'm going for a good skimmer setting up a sump with as large of a refugium as possible in it. I want to get 120+ lbs of rock and good wavemakers and a light that will support anything. I have been researching for over a month on all aspects.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW if I was starting a new tank today and wanted to possible grow SPS it would have metal halides, no question about it.

But with that said, I am currently operating 18 different tanks and 17 of them are lit by black boxes. It is just really hard to beat. >300 PAR for $100, easily modifiable and repairable, really good spread if you remove the lenses.

Even if I had unlimited money, I am pretty sure I'd put it into more and bigger tanks, and buying more corals, instead of LEDs that put out the same or less par for 6-9 times the cost. I think the anti-black box rumors are bad specifically because of this situation - leaving someone convinced they need to drop thousands of dollars on lighting for their new setup.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW if I was starting a new tank today and wanted to possible grow SPS it would have metal halides, no question about it.

But with that said, I am currently operating 18 different tanks and 17 of them are lit by black boxes. It is just really hard to beat. >300 PAR for $100, easily modifiable and repairable, really good spread if you remove the lenses.

Even if I had unlimited money, I am pretty sure I'd put it into more and bigger tanks, and buying more corals, instead of LEDs that put out the same or less par for 6-9 times the cost. I think the anti-black box rumors are bad specifically because of this situation - leaving someone convinced they need to drop thousands of dollars on lighting for their new setup.

Yes I'm definitely looking into black box LEDs. What brands do you suggest?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two generic black boxes over my 75G for three years and then moved them to my 120G for another 4 1/2 years. Never had a problem with them and I only replaced them because I wanted more control over the lights and I stumbled upon a great deal on a pair of XR30 G3 Pros.
Quite a few of my friends run the Viparspectra BBs and just love them.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that Mars don't work for too long though. In 2 years I will need new ones and I'm 400$ in
A lot of people have their black boxes last much longer. If for some reason yours only last two years and you replace them, $400 is still a lot less than some other lights. Black boxes may be the best route for you.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes black boxes are definitely very appealing. Thanks everyone for your input on this. It has opened up more options. So far 2 Mars aqua and reefbreeders are front runners.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back