210g Stocking Help

Jimbo7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210 gallon is has been running for just about two months and my ATS is ramping up and starting to take out nitrates and I'm feeling confident its ready for fish.

My stocking list is pretty loose but I'm not sure where to start since the availability on a lot of fish right now is pretty poor it seems. Wherever I can, I'd like to do captive bred fish.

• Large group (5-9?) of darting/shoaling/active fish. I know most fish don't shoal like we'd want but just looking for activity.
    • ORA Azure Damsel or Biota Pavo Damsel (any suggestions between them?)
    • No Chromis, uronema scares me
  • Diamond watchman goby
  • Clown Pair (From another tank, female is 2.5" and very dominant)
  • Tang Gang
    • Has anyone seen success with multiple Tomini tangs? I love these guys and curious if I could do 3-5ish if all introduced small and at the same time
    • Eventually I'd like a good mix of tangs, but since that market is crazy volatile right now and I'm probably 8-10 months away from tangs since they will be last, I'm not sweating it quite yet.
  • Biota Majestic Angel
    • Knowing these are hit or miss on reef safe, going to try but will rehome if needed.
So thats all i've got right now and I'm totally unsure of where to start. Originally I wanted to start at the top because I was going to get Chromis, but now with all of the uronema stuff happening I'm looking at damsels which are generally a "don't add first" fish, but safe from uronema.

Tangs go last, Angel should be close to last, clowns towards the end as well since this female is huge and aggressive, Diamond watchman I'm afraid the sand isn't mature enough yet, Damsels shouldn't go first..... Everything on my list is a "at the end" fish, so where do I start?

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 210 gallon is has been running for just about two months and my ATS is ramping up and starting to take out nitrates and I'm feeling confident its ready for fish.

My stocking list is pretty loose but I'm not sure where to start since the availability on a lot of fish right now is pretty poor it seems. Wherever I can, I'd like to do captive bred fish.

• Large group (5-9?) of darting/shoaling/active fish. I know most fish don't shoal like we'd want but just looking for activity.
  • Diamond watchman goby
  • Tang Gang
    • Has anyone seen success with multiple Tomini tangs? I love these guys and curious if I could do 3-5ish if all introduced small and at the same time
    • Eventually I'd like a good mix of tangs, but since that market is crazy volatile right now and I'm probably 8-10 months away from tangs since they will be last, I'm not sweating it quite yet.
  • Biota Majestic Angel
    • Knowing these are hit or miss on reef safe, going to try but will rehome if needed.
So thats all i've got right now and I'm totally unsure of where to start. Originally I wanted to start at the top because I was going to get Chromis, but now with all of the uronema stuff happening I'm looking at damsels which are generally a "don't add first" fish, but safe from uronema.

Tangs go last, Angel should be close to last, clowns towards the end as well since this female is huge and aggressive, Diamond watchman I'm afraid the sand isn't mature enough yet, Damsels shouldn't go first..... Everything on my list is a "at the end" fish, so where do I start?
I would start with your Clowns & the goby! You could also maybe add a Gramma & some wrasses to start with! As far as the tangs - whatever you decide will be hit or miss & everyone will have different experiences but as long as you’re prepared to rehome if necessary, give what you want a go. I personally would not add multiple Tomini tangs, convict tangs school well & do well in numbers so that’s an option! As far as less aggressive schooling fish have you thought about Cardinals? Or some Anthias :) Anyway I hope this helped & good luck with whatever you decide!

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Diamond watchman goby
  • Tang Gang
  • Biota Majestic Angel

Also forgot to mention - Many fire fish will school, are extremely peaceful & very beautiful! That’s definitely a viable option. They also benefit from being added to the tank early on :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back