22 gallon Mr Aqua (closed loop)

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epic tank.

I remember looking at yours when I started building my 22g long. I can only hope mine turns out a 1/10th as nice as yours!

What a wonderful job.

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rad looking tank! Love to see clean builds like this. Will be following to see how it evolves. Happy reefing!
Thanks! I'm also a big fan of clean, minimalist tanks.

Epic tank.

I remember looking at yours when I started building my 22g long. I can only hope mine turns out a 1/10th as nice as yours!

What a wonderful job.
Hi GatorGreg, thank you. I've seen your thread and have no doubt your tank will be spectacular as it grows out. You're off to a great start!

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to add a little additional information to supplement the latest video. Anyone that has seen my thread can see I decided to get back to almost all SPS. I've tried doing a mixed reef, but I guess I'm not that good at it (especially in such a small space). I got rid of anything that had any type of sweepers that could sting. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work (placement, flow direction, urchins knocking GLUED frags off and then landing on my Scoly's, etc....), there was always some casualty. I also, keep a screened top on my tank at night after lights out. ONE night I forgot to put it on, my flame hawk went carpet surfing. I also lost my male black storm clown. All of a sudden the female (I'm assuming because she was the larger of the two) decided she no longer like him and harassed the crap out of him until he eventually stopped eating and died. So that's the full update, until next time. Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORA skyline granulosa, FINALLY! starting to show its potential. Had this for a while now and it stayed green for a long time, but over the past few months has really started to come into its own. Looks good from the side, but way better from top down.

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can call this post throwback Wednesday. I was cleaning up some old photos and found these from my old biocube back in 2017. This was my work tank that did really well. Everyone at work loved this one. Lighting was the now defunct nanobox. I maintained it with water changes and nothing else. I would always find someone at my desk staring at it. I ended up selling the whole setup to someone local.

Attachments

• 20170705-094527.jpg
    20170705-094527.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170620-123421.jpg
    20170620-123421.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170620-114256.jpg
    20170620-114256.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 22 long! I was hoping to pick your brain at some point, looking to do a similar setup. Need some pointers!
Hi PocketGoose, no problem. Ask anytime if you have any questions. Glad to help as much as I can.

OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the color contrast on this monti with the Teal polyps and orange base. If I had it in more light it would develop some yellow too. I'm thinking about it. I want to pull as much color out of it as I can.

Attachments

• 20240212_200123.jpg
    20240212_200123.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240212_195826.jpg
    20240212_195826.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
TMC1313

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this pesky Gramma has decided to take up residence under the rock where my spiderman zoas were growing fantastic, but now keep getting buried by this pain in the *$#.

20240212_200948.jpg

Last edited:

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That monti is gorgeous. Where can I find one haha!

I’ve read over your thread several times- I love the closed loop and would probably opt for that route myself.

Two Questions:

1) how did you go about the layout of your sump? I see you have something holding a filter sock/drains in there, is that DIY? I have an old rimless tank I would probably use for mine - how many gallons does yours hold?

2) Im brand new to the idea of a closed loop system. What are your thoughts/feedback after running one in here? Any issues with the intake drain? Anything you would do different? Seems like the vectra would allow you to make things pretty simple.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That monti is gorgeous. Where can I find one haha!

I’ve read over your thread several times- I love the closed loop and would probably opt for that route myself.

Two Questions:

1) how did you go about the layout of your sump? I see you have something holding a filter sock/drains in there, is that DIY? I have an old rimless tank I would probably use for mine - how many gallons does yours hold?

2) Im brand new to the idea of a closed loop system. What are your thoughts/feedback after running one in here? Any issues with the intake drain? Anything you would do different? Seems like the vectra would allow you to make things pretty simple.

Thanks in advance!
Hi PocketGoose,
The sump layout I kept very simple. I just used a smaller (I think 6 gallon) tank. I knew my drain down to the sump was going to be on one end of the tank (peninsula style) and really all I needed was to put the return on the opposite end, so I would get some flow across the live rock in between. I never planned on running a skimmer or any other chemical filtration, so I didn't need any additional chambers or anything. The filter sock holder was bought online and I just made sure it was the right size to fit in the sump and to hold the sock. The closed loop, has worked out well and I have no regrets about going that route instead of pumps (no pumps to ever clean and one less obstruction in the tank for a cleaner look). It's going on 3 years now and working well. If I were to make any changes at all I probably would have drilled the returns closer to each end than I did (just for scaping purposes). As long as the intake drain is high enough it will never suck anything in to create issues. Even if it was too low that could be remedied by just putting a prefilter sponge over the intake that you could easily rinse once a week I would think. The switch to the Vectra has been fantastic. I just set it to ramp up and down like I would the same way as if I were using vortech's. Hope I answered all your questions.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi PocketGoose,
The sump layout I kept very simple. I just used a smaller (I think 6 gallon) tank. I knew my drain down to the sump was going to be on one end of the tank (peninsula style) and really all I needed was to put the return on the opposite end, so I would get some flow across the live rock in between. I never planned on running a skimmer or any other chemical filtration, so I didn't need any additional chambers or anything. The filter sock holder was bought online and I just made sure it was the right size to fit in the sump and to hold the sock. The closed loop, has worked out well and I have no regrets about going that route instead of pumps (no pumps to ever clean and one less obstruction in the tank for a cleaner look). It's going on 3 years now and working well. If I were to make any changes at all I probably would have drilled the returns closer to each end than I did (just for scaping purposes). As long as the intake drain is high enough it will never suck anything in to create issues. Even if it was too low that could be remedied by just putting a prefilter sponge over the intake that you could easily rinse once a week I would think. The switch to the Vectra has been fantastic. I just set it to ramp up and down like I would the same way as if I were using vortech's. Hope I answered all your questions.

Sure does, thanks for the info. You have a very inspiring build here. I ask about the sump because I have an old 11.4 mr.aqua laying around I would likely use for a sump. It would be nice to run a tank with the closed loop system only, but I'd like a place to store probes and heaters and I would like to run a skimmer. I'm trying to find a stand that will work out similar to yours. Did you make any modifications (aside from drilling holes for plumbing), I.E. extra bracing and such ? After looking through some of the Wayfair cabinets, many of the them are rated for less than 150 lbs.

Last edited:

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does, thanks for the info. You have a very inspiring build here. I ask about the sump because I have an old 11.4 mr.aqua laying around I would likely use for a sump. It would be nice to run a tank with the closed loop system only, but I'd like a place to store probes and heaters and I would like to run a skimmer. I'm trying to find a stand that will work out similar to yours. Did you make any modifications (aside from drilling holes for plumbing), I.E. extra bracing and such ? After looking through some of the Wayfair cabinets, many of the them are rated for less than 150 lbs.
Thanks, No mods other than what you mentioned above.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy TMC, just wanted to pick your brain about your lights. I read about the fixture you repurposed for the primes, just curious where all the wires/power bricks end up? Did you go through the wall to connect the power supply to the outlet?

How do you feel about three primes for lighting? Would you consider another option at this point?

I've started my upgrade process - I've built the sump and I'm going to order the tank next week (UNS 90L basically the same dimensions). I'm going to DIY a stand as well. Thank you for all the help thus far.

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello PocketGoose, You're correct. On the other side of the wall is a coat closet. I ran the wires through the wall and everything else (power bricks) are in the closet. There was already an outlet in there so no electrical work was necessary. I also have my ATO and chiller (when needed) in there to. I think three Primes are perfect and I get absolutely no shadowing, which is good and bad depending on what you want to keep. Because of the height I have the lights mounted there is some light spill in the room, but where the tank is located it's a non issue. Sounds like you're making good progress. Keep me updated

Last edited:

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello PocketGoose, You're correct. On the other side of the wall is a coat closet. I ran the wires through the wall and everything else (power bricks) are in the closet. There was already an outlet in there so no electrical work was necessary. I also have my ATO and chiller (when needed) in there to. I think three Primes are perfect and I get absolutely no shadowing, which is good and bad depending on what you want to keep. Because of the height I have the lights mounted there is some light spill in the room, but where the tank is located it's a non issue. Sounds like you're making good progress. Keep me updated
Awesome thank you so much. I think I'll have to run the wires down the wall unfortunately..I'll have to figure something out.

Still deciding on lighting options, I have a good amount of SPS that will eventually be moved over, so I'll definatley need some power. Considering I won't be able to hide the wiring well I may look for a single fixture with only one power chord.

Again thank you for your help, I will keep you updated!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back