OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired today and 2 men short so I am loading trucks...not above dock work but thats where I started 30+ years ago.

My coral beauty died overnight...did a postmortem on the remains...no signs of velevt or ich...did a freshwater dip no flukes..not sure what happened here..he/she's belly seemed a little bloated but other than that fins all 100% no bite marks was in tank 5 weeks no problems..added a yellow tang last Thursday and Im not sure but I think it stressed the beauty out and maybe some underlying issue I didnt notice with her took over

Did a fast 3 last night 15:00 pace was third day in a row for me so tonight I rest for a long 5 miler tomorrow night

Grats Matt on 2 miles at a decent pace you will be doing halves with me soon :)

4.5 weeks till Football Hall of Fame Half for me
Sorry for the lose, sometimes there is just no explanation for it.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mch1984 and @Jeight

Had one of my good buddies with me for today's run... we both have to get back in the groove again.

20190326_121726.jpg Screenshot_20190326-131354_Connect.jpg
Good looking pooch, I wish I could take mine with me. One would have a panic attack at the sight of another dog and my rotty couldn't make it that far on his hips. Poor thing started suffering hip problems before he hit a year old.

IMG_1346.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Black Diamond blasting sand in the medium grit for years with planted tanks and all of them grew well, except my current 2.5 desk tank. I think I am going to tear it down soon and start over.

I think its a product of some bad plants I got off a guy on plantedtank.net.
I have used it in the past also....definitely cheaper than the stuff I switched too which was this https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Soil-Am...ocphy=9015253&hvtargid=pla-762002726592&psc=1
I had much better plant growth using this stuff.....although it does get super expensive if you have a large tank. This is the powder but I use a mixture of a couple of different diameters.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking pooch, I wish I could take mine with me. One would have a panic attack at the sight of another dog and my rotty couldn't make it that far on his hips. Poor thing started suffering hip problems before he hit a year old.

IMG_1346.jpg

Oh believe me, Luna is a handful until I can get her back in the groove. Almost tripped me today by bolting in front of me. Fortunately, I have cat-like reflexes to go with my charming personality and devastatingly handsome good looks. And I'd be more than happy to discuss how modest I am too! Lol

Once I start getting into longer runs, I'll take her with me the first 5 miles, drop her back at home and head back out to finish the run.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it in the past also....definitely cheaper than the stuff I switched too which was this https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Soil-Am...ocphy=9015253&hvtargid=pla-762002726592&psc=1
I had much better plant growth using this stuff.....although it does get super expensive if you have a large tank. This is the powder but I use a mixture of a couple of different diameters.
It's the strangest thing, I can't bring my self to buy ADA. I have no idea why, kind of like @crusso1993 and echotech. I feel like they charge extra because they are ADA, I'm sure I would not regret doing it but can't bring myself to. I bought a drop checker from Amazon for $10 and they ADA version is $45. I just don't understand it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the strangest thing, I can't bring my self to buy ADA. I have no idea why, kind of like @crusso1993 and echotech.

Echotech! You called them Echotech. That's because your wallet has an echo in it after buying their overpriced products.

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon stone and driftwood finally came in. All nice pieces and worth the wait. I was a little concerned how the dragon stone and elephant stone would look together. But I think the two colors will look good with each other.

0AA16B6C-19BF-4147-8927-37A009218921.jpeg

7FC4BF04-3029-4634-B68E-B845893561D5.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the strangest thing, I can't bring my self to buy ADA. I have no idea why, kind of like @crusso1993 and echotech. I feel like they charge extra because they are ADA, I'm sure I would not regret doing it but can't bring myself to. I bought a drop checker from Amazon for $10 and they ADA version is $45. I just don't understand it.
Lol I get it........I try to buy off brands most of the time also. I tried a lot of those off brands though when it comes to substrate.....while the ADA is still overpriced, it looks and performs so much better than anything else I have tried (from being able to anchor plants to growth, appearance, etc.) I am with you though, I refuse to buy any ADA equipment.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw someone mention using something like MiracleGro. I've seen a number of YouTube videos, from "pros", that have used it and had very good results. Of course, they covered it with another form of substrate. Has anyone here tried that route?

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw someone mention using something like MiracleGro. I've seen a number of YouTube videos, from "pros", that have used it and had very good results. Of course, they covered it with another form of substrate. Has anyone here tried that route?
I haven't tried it but have considered it on this build and I still may go that route. Base layer of potting mix and cap it with the flourite. I did read that one of the best ones is MiracleGro potting mix. There is potting soil and potting mix and you want the mix, the soil has manure and isn't good for the tank. Also make sure it's the organic, so there are no harmful chemicals in it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried it but have considered it on this build and I still may go that route. Base layer of potting mix and cap it with the flourite. I did read that one of the best ones is MiracleGro potting mix. There is potting soil and potting mix and you want the mix, the soil has manure and isn't good for the tank. Also make sure it's the organic, so there are no harmful chemicals in it.

Yeah, that's what the videos I watched were saying too. I usually only put the harmful chemicals in my body! :eek:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know what your are talking about.

But of course! I mean, at 315, I'm guessing you've probably been vegan only for years and eating only "clean" foods. (Yeah, maybe this is a low blow but I know you can handle it!) ;)

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But of course! I mean, at 315, I'm guessing you've probably been vegan only for years and eating only "clean" foods. (Yeah, maybe this is a low blow but I know you can handle it!) ;)
If by vegan you mean cheesburger, bbq, lots of breakfast burritos and stuff like that, then yes. I have cleaned up my diet but vegan or vegetarian will never be a thing for me. I eat more chicken and substitute turkey when I can, but I will never drop red meat. I also have had to drop wild game and lamb because of gout, both of which make me sad. However the pain of gout will make you not miss those things as bad.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by vegan you mean cheesburger, bbq, lots of breakfast burritos and stuff like that, then yes. I have cleaned up my diet but vegan or vegetarian will never be a thing for me. I eat more chicken and substitute turkey when I can, but I will never drop red meat. I also have had to drop wild game and lamb because of gout, both of which make me sad. However the pain of gout will make you not miss those things as bad.
Remember cows eat grass so you are eating greens in a different form. Plus your helping vegans by eating food that poops on theirs

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Believe it, or not, I was a vegetarian when I lived in FL. Got my weight to 215-218, was running very consistent and regularly and felt great! Another tidbit; believe it, or not, for a guy my size I eat very little. Usually only 1 meal a day. A couple of my meds cause serious weight gain.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it, or not, I was a vegetarian when I lived in FL. Got my weight to 215-218, was running very consistent and regularly and felt great! Another tidbit; believe it, or not, for a guy my size I eat very little. Usually only 1 meal a day. A couple of my meds cause serious weight gain.
Downsides of meds. Thanks to you guys I'm pushing some weight again. I hate running being forced to run has made me hate it. I enjoyed it before joining the military but now it a struggle .

OP
OP
mch1984

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Downsides of meds. Thanks to you guys I'm pushing some weight again. I hate running being forced to run has made me hate it. I enjoyed it before joining the military but now it a struggle .

I have the opposite problem, I have always had a massive appetite. I know I eat considerable amount more then the average person, but I have my whole life. When I was in shape it didn't change either, I just ate more often and healthier stuff. I limited myself to 2000 calories and I had to get creative to get there and stay full. About 6 months into lifting weights I had to up the calorie count on that because I was starving all the time. @sfin52, join in and post your workouts. I don't like cardio either but need to drop some weight and get back in good habits before I start lifting again. When it's all said and done with I will be doing 80% weights and 20% cardio. Not sure how my iphone will show work outs when I switch to weights but I'll figure it out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back