220 dt sump ideas

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 220 that i want to put a Cortez ray in and i'm attempting to make an adequate filter for this ray. i was originally going to go with a 40b, but after doing research and making a 3d model and realizing how much space i don't have in a 40b, i'm looking for ideas as to what i should make my sump out of, and what equipment should be put into it.

I had two of these pumps in mind for the returns, as the tank is drilled in the two rear corners.
thanks for any input.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered glass from peninsula glass co. to fit under my stand. I used rtv silicone to connect the pieces. And then the baffles I ordered black acrylic. I cut the acrylic 1/4 in short, to give it room to swell. Glued that with silicone too but I made sure to rough the edges for good adherence. Keep in mind the thickness of material is important. Take a look at the thickness used on frameless tanks to gauge the size you’ll need for your custom needs.

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered glass from peninsula glass co. to fit under my stand. I used rtv silicone to connect the pieces. And then the baffles I ordered black acrylic. I cut the acrylic 1/4 in short, to give it room to swell. Glued that with silicone too but I made sure to rough the edges for good adherence. Keep in mind the thickness of material is important. Take a look at the thickness used on frameless tanks to gauge the size you’ll need for your custom needs.
not sure about doing it all custom, i guess i'll have to look into it. thanks.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always that option to have a local tank builder get the job done, to your specifications. I don’t know any in Florida because I’m on the other side of the states but if you make a separate post, asking for tank builders near you, you’ll get some ideas.

ReefHorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is better with sumps imo, so go as big as you can. When I had my 220g running, I had a 125g long underneath. The standard rule of thumb is to size your sump approximately 25% of the size of your display. The more total water volume the better though. It'd be a tad bigger than you need, but I think if you could come across a standard 75g tank to convert into a sump, It'd be ideal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back