220 Gallon help

Bud L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I had professional movers move my 220 from the garage (doing a water test) to my basement. They broke the corner of the Bottom frame off.

I called the frame wholesale place but they only go up to 18" my tank is 72"x24".

I need some ideas on what to do. I don't know who the manufacturer is unfortunately.

I'm thinking either I hire a metal fabricator to do a steel frame... but it's just a thought...
Or I'm thinking about building a wood frame to lay against the existing plastic frame? I made the stand to fit the dimensions perfectly so I'm thinking if I run wood around the frame with a 2" lip around it. Would this solve the issue?
Thanks
20230922_191711.jpg

Last edited:

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to clean it up, tape it off and pour some epoxy in there? Would bind to original frame and be an easy fix

OP
OP
B

Bud L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have the movers pay for a professional to fix or replace tank. I'm sure you can reinforce it with wood frame and it would be fine but 220 is a lot of weight go thicker then thiner if you go that route.
I have been calling every lfs and aquarium maintenance Co. However because of insurance liability , no one wants to repair this tank.
I did contact the owner of the moving company and they offered $132.00 refund. I paid them $450.00 to move it . I'm furious..

OP
OP
B

Bud L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they were really Profesional and insured. That is not an easy fix. Getting the frames off is a really pita, at least the one time I did it was.
Thanks for your reply, the moving company owner offered me $132 refund. I had paid them $450.00 ... it's going to be a struggle to get them to pay.

OP
OP
B

Bud L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to clean it up, tape it off and pour some epoxy in there? Would bind to original frame and be an easy fix
I spoke with someone at Marineland... he said the water pressure would be too great a risk.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the plastic that cracked? Is there any damage to the glass corner? I am dealing with this now on my 180. The bottom glass corner had a small chip in it by the black trim (not sure how it happened). Was fine for 5 years, but finally the silicone gave way and I developed a small pinhole leak just a few days ago. Luckily I caught it pretty quickly and was able to drain the tank/move the livestock so there was limited damage. I personally wouldn't risk it by trying to fix the tank unless its going in an unfinished space or garage where water damage is not a big concern. 220 gallons is a lot of water...

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no different than if the moving company dropped a tv and it broke. I wouldn’t trust this tank anymore so they should replace the tank. You have an uphill battle unfortunately.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, the moving company owner offered me $132 refund. I had paid them $450.00 ... it's going to be a struggle to get them to pay.
Did you pay with credit by chance? If so I would dispute the charge. If not there probably isn't much you can do unless you want to take to the internet and start posting reviews. I'm not a fan of that but when was working our owner would instruct my manager to give away hundreds to people who were unhappy even if we did nothing wrong. This moving company obviously did wrong. Do you have any documentation as to how damage they cause is supposed to be handled?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the damage from the company, which I would also at least call your CC company. Charge backs can raise their rates and most companies want to avoid them.

As for the frame, did you call Marineland, AGA or whomever made it? I got a top frame from all-glass once, but I had to make a few calls, follow up and have it sent to a retail store near me even though I paid them for it. ...like find a number and call a person - don't just send an email or DM.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also take them to small claims court no lawyer needed most will settle. I'm not a fan of people that sue but when something like this happens it's the right thing. I do understand they don't want to take the risk for a small charge to repair if chance it doesn't work.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi,
I had professional movers move my 220 from the garage (doing a water test) to my basement. They broke the corner of the Bottom frame off.

I called the frame wholesale place but they only go up to 18" my tank is 72"x24".

I need some ideas on what to do. I don't know who the manufacturer is unfortunately.

I'm thinking either I hire a metal fabricator to do a steel frame... but it's just a thought...
Or I'm thinking about building a wood frame to lay against the existing plastic frame? I made the stand to fit the dimensions perfectly so I'm thinking if I run wood around the frame with a 2" lip around it. Would this solve the issue?
Thanks
20230922_191711.jpg
Sounds like the movers need to step there game up and cover the cost. Fight it until the end. You did nothing wrong here.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the glass is not cracked, the loss of that frame will not cause any structural issues. It is just cosmetic. At least that is what it looks like from the picture. There still appears to be frame on the bottom side. The bottom side of the frame helps distribute the load on the bottom and protects the side panels from impacts that might chip the glass but that is all. It offers no additional strength. You could cover it with some wood trim and be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back