220 Gallon Setup

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I am picking up a 220 gallon tank, stand, LED lights, Sump, Pump, skimmer, RODI, etc... tomorrow and am thinking of going FOWLER for the most part with semi aggressive fish.

Any advice on the setup?
I have been out of the hobby for about 5+ years and pretty much forgot all the ins and outs and little things. I just dont want to make too many mistakes in the beginning and then have to pay for them later on.

Couple initial questions:
1. Should I go live rock or dry rock?
2. What substrate should i use? Live sand or something else?
3. If I go dry rock, how to I "seed" the tank/get it cycled?
See....I told you I've been out for a while :)

Thank you all for any input and/or advice.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who makes the tank you are getting? I am going to upgrade size wise myself in the neatr future and am unsure who to go with....lot of horror stories to read about leaks and quality and with that many gallons...it's a valid concern.. I look forward to watching your build. Live versus dry is a matter of preference...you will have to soak out the phosphates for awhile if you choose dry, with live you run the risk of hitchhikers....you can cycle the tank by ghost feeding with small pieces of raw shrimp....you can buy ammonia and dose and let nature run it's course testing your ammonia, nitrites and eventually nitrates as the cycle matures....

Back