Help Wanted on New tank setup

Erich T.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone. I am new here and need advice on setting up new 90 gallon reef tank and Trigger Saphire 34 sump. I have been doing several 5 gallon tanks for around 5 years now. My question is... I created a dry rock aquascape in the aquarium (Marco rock not rinsed) . Used Marco mortar to hold it all together. Looks good. I filled with RoDi and added dry sand that i rinsed. Well major cloudiness. Guess i didn't rinse well enough. Have been stirring up the sand (Blowing the s..t out of it with powerhead) for 6 days now. Its pretty clear now with filter socks and carbon. My question is can i now add salt or should i drain and refill before adding salt? All help and opinions are welcome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello Everyone. I am new here and need advice on setting up new 90 gallon reef tank and Trigger Saphire 34 sump. I have been doing several 5 gallon tanks for around 5 years now. My question is... I created a dry rock aquascape in the aquarium (Marco rock not rinsed) . Used Marco mortar to hold it all together. Looks good. I filled with RoDi and added dry sand that i rinsed. Well major cloudiness. Guess i didn't rinse well enough. Have been stirring up the sand (Blowing the s..t out of it with powerhead) for 6 days now. Its pretty clear now with filter socks and carbon. My question is can i now add salt or should i drain and refill before adding salt? All help and opinions are welcome.
Clean socks every 2 days to trap suspended matter and add ammonia chloride
Then add netrifying bacteria such as micro bacter XLM
When ammonia drops and is steady at.025 or less for 5 days and nitrate is 20 or less for 5 days- you are cycled

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is can i now add salt or should i drain and refill before adding salt? All help and opinions are welcome.
It it were me, I'd add in salt slowly in the sump return chamber in front of the pump and dial it in over the course of a day or so.

Some would say to drain/partially drain and add pre-mixed saltwater.

Both are fine in your situation IMO

Have fun good luck be patient

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with adding salt like that. You may get localized precipitation and that would not be great. Probably best to at least partially empty and mix in a more concentrated (higher than 1.026) batch of saltwater if you don’t want to completely empty.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMB_UEj7O8.gif

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R! Just my 2 cents but I would drain, pre mix salt water, and add to tank once mixed. I have never been crazy about filling a tank with water then adding salt. But that’s just me.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Sophie''s mom on this one, I prefer to mix in a separate container because almost all salt can leave a residue or film. Particles that just don't dissolve 100%. I also like to heat my water to tank temp before I add salt mix and I like to let the powerheads stir the new water for a couple hours before adding it.
Welcome to R2R!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back