Pre-Rinse / Cycle Marco Rock in Large Aquarium

coreytrv

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2023
Messages
228
Reaction score
126
Location
Sacramento
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amidst aquascaping a large vertical "column" shaped tank. It's 4' x 4' x 7' and I have to climb into the roof, and down a rope ladder inside to build up the rock work.

As such there is a lot of in and out, and fabricating inside the tank with tools. So I won't be able to rinse / pre-cycle the rock.

Using dry Marco rocks that are over a year old. How should I cycle / rinse?

Would it be beneficial to hose down and rinse the rock inside the tank, then drain it out, prior to the initial fill?

Attached photo for reference.

 
Last edited:
The large pieces of rock will have tons of dust from shipping. I would at least rinse them really good before putting them in the tank. I bought the 1200 lb box is how I know
 
They are sort of already in the tank, plus I'm drilling in rods, so there will be more dust.

Is the pre-rinse just faster for water clarity?
Is there a legitimate pathogen concern from dry rocks?

I guess I'm wondering if give this is a new build, if its worth the time to wash these in the tank and drain it out- OR just plan on filtering longer or using socks or something?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new