220 Gallon Tank Setup

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be setting up a 220 gallon tank and will post pics of it along the way. I do have some initial questions though that I need help/advice with.
I am thinking of going FOWLER for the most part with semi aggressive fish.

1. Should I go live rock or dry rock?
2. What substrate should i use? Live sand/dry sand or something else?
3. If I go dry rock, how to I "seed" the tank/get it cycled?
See....I told you I've been out for a while :)

Also what is the best way to clean up the tank and equipment I'm getting?

Thanks!

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go dry rock so you don't have any pest issues.

You can get the cycle started with a table shrimp OR you can get something like Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria.

Sand is your preference.

fastest302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup what sassAwrasse says and if you want look into fritz turbo900 I used it when I setup my 20g long and had a instant cycle and used dry rock and dry sand

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 220 club. Pro's and Con's to dry vs live. I've started with dry for my build but will be adding some live at some point. I'm not sure these sterile environments we've tried setting up are good for the long haul. We should probably aim for major pest free and go from there lol!

While I generally assume live sand is dead by the time we open it and put it in the tank, I actually have seen very small shrimp swimming around in an unopened bag of live sand before, so who knows. Another area where you could go largely dry(rinse it well), with maybe a little live to go with it.

Seed a dry rock environment with a couple of available bacteria in bottle products. Then, use pure ammonia dosed to 2.5ppm or you're favorite rotting shrimp to start the cycle. I like to use a seachem ammonia a left badge to track the ammonia swing. Once you can dose 2-2.5ppm ammonia and have both ammonia and nitrite gone within 24 hours, you can add your first couple of fish.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan....I will have more questions for sure as I get closer and closer.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of doing that dry rock I posted in my other thread, along with dry sand. Then I think maybe the turbo start or dr tim's stuff to get the tank going quick. Then a few hearty fish that I want to keep actually. Not damsels!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now there is a trend where a lot of people cook or leech out the phosphates in dry rock (even newly bought) prior to using in the display tank but this would need to done ahead of time since it can take weeks to months.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is much easier and less time consuming .. better in the short run for you Fish to pick food from it since they will be shy in the beginning .. I would say live sand also .. goood luck buddy looking froward to the updates

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of doing that dry rock I posted in my other thread, along with dry sand. Then I think maybe the turbo start or dr tim's stuff to get the tank going quick. Then a few hearty fish that I want to keep actually. Not damsels!
I have to Say I love my little yellowtail blue damsel great color doesn't bother anybody and cheap. My tank is a 120 I think in a larger tank you can get away with one or two without any problems. That is unless you get a real jerk!

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to the live verses dry rock.
Live Rock Yes you get beneficial items to seed your tank, but you also risk the bad things you may not see. its also quite a bit more expensive.
Dry Rock is Pest free but may have a phosphate leeching depending where it came from. (I used Marco Rocks and had no issues though). It is also much cheaper.

Personally I prefer to use dry rock and then seed it with live rock obtained from a source I know and trust. (PM me for the name if your interested).

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo Hoo.....Finally picked up all the equipment, tank and stand!
Pumps and skimmer all cleaned already in vinegar baths. Couple questions...
What is the best way for me to clean the overflows in the back of the tank there? It looks like they were encrusted with coralline algea.
What is the best thing to clean the glass with inside and out?

See pictures of all my new stuff!!

Thanks!
Fun times ahead now!

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6584.jpg

IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my 150 by using 10 gallons of vinegar and filling the tank with water for a day, it then scraped off easily

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to you. I was going to buy that tank myself but it didn't have a panel on the left of the stand.

You got a great deal !! Good luck. BTW, I heard that CLR works great at getting old dried coraline algae off.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Yes the deal was too good to pass up. I gave everything a vinegar soaking last night and cleaned it all this morning so I'm good to go now.
The missing panel on the left works for me because that side will be against a wall. I will just use some plywood to close it up though.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I ordered dry rock from Billy’s reef and live sand also. Figured both would be a decent starting combo.
I may need some help if anyone wants to donate a piece or two of clean live rock to help seed...and maybe a cup of sand when I get it all running:)
Anything else I should add, like the shrimp still or bottle of bacteria? Is the Top Fin starter bacteria from PetSmart good to add?

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm sorry your deal didn't work for me, I just bought a 180 gallon RR on Craigslist yesterday. ($400) and a brand new R&J Enterprises stand (36"tall) on Amazon for $550, so it all worked out. : ))

BTW, I'm going to use Dr.Tim's Aquatics bacteria to cycle my tank.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it....I kinda felt bad snagging that tank from you.
You will stay much dryer with the 180 as opposed to the 220 when you're sticking your arm in to the bottom.

I ordered Dr. Tim's as well to cycle the tank.

I will post some pics soon...I built a canopy, built a floor in the stand and installed a shower pan liner in there for extra leak/spillage insurance.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't snag it from me buddy. The guy who listed it never told me about the left side of the stand missing. I asked him to send me pics from the inside of the stand and in one photo I just happened to notice it. I was ready to organize a truck, strong friends, dolly's, etc......... quite frankly, I was ticked he missed that little "tidbit" of info., but I got my deposit back. So, no harm, no foul.

Let's stay in touch on the cycling with Dr Tim's.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I may not start up the tank until after the new year....still waiting for things to come in that I purchased, but will definitely stay in touch.

He wasn't a bad guy, college student, a little scattered because it was finals for him the past couple weeks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back