220g dual herbie I’m thinking. what size/ how many return lines should I run over the back

reefman323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my 100g to this 225g. It has 2 overflows one in each corner. Each overflow has 2, 1.75” holes drilled. So if drilled for a 1” bulkhead or 3/4 sch 80 bulkhead. I think I decided on herbie drain.

1.Should I keep the full siphon and emergency at 1” bulkhead?

I didn't want to run pipes outside the tank but I feel like that will be best for returns. Do I keep return line at 1” or go down to 3/4 and split it to two returns at top of tank?

Any other opinions or options I’m willing to take

IMG_8611.jpeg IMG_8604.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’m a big fan of Sea Swirls I say 2 returns. Leave the plumbing at 1”

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have seen much advantage to using Sch80 bulkheads frankly. Reef Octopus make a higher quality line of PVC Sch40 bulkheads which I use exclusively on my tank. You could certainly go to 3/4 on the siphons unless you are looking to run crazy turnover. Keep secondary/emergency at 1”. I never had an issue with an over the back return. If you use black PVC it’s not that noticeable. I see no particular reason for multiple returns unless you need them for in tank flow. Power heads accomplish that much better anyhow.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back