24 g Biocube w/maroon

visari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 gallon nano as a starter tank. My friend gave me his maroon clownfish that was getting bullied. Currently it’s the only thing in there besides few corals and a porcelain crab.
I really want to pair it with a lighting maroon. My friend has done it successfully but I’m hesitant on it. What would you guys advice be?

IMG_2484.jpeg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 gallon nano as a starter tank. My friend gave me his maroon clownfish that was getting bullied. Currently it’s the only thing in there besides few corals and a porcelain crab.
I really want to pair it with a lighting maroon. My friend has done it successfully but I’m hesitant on it. What would you guys advice be?

IMG_2484.jpeg
I would try to keep it the same color, fish and species of clown
I’ve done it in the past where I try to mix different colors of clowns together they almost don’t pair up at least in my experience

OP
OP
V

visari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to keep it the same color, fish and species of clown
I’ve done it in the past where I try to mix different colors of clowns together they almost don’t pair up at least in my experience
So a gold stripe maroon with a lightning maroon? What do you think?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a gold stripe maroon with a lightning maroon? What do you think?
I can see that possibly working. For some reason with clown fish they’re racist they only like their own color.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it. Been done lots of times, but maroons can be tough to pair as the females are pretty aggressive. The smaller the better. When I say small, I mean small. Like you would think she can swallowed him whole small. Keep him in a breeder or acclimation box in the tank with her for a couple of weeks for them to begin to get use to each other. I can be done though!

OP
OP
V

visari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it. Been done lots of times, but maroons can be tough to pair as the females are pretty aggressive. The smaller the better. When I say small, I mean small. Like you would think she can swallowed him whole small. Keep him in a breeder or acclimation box in the tank with her for a couple of weeks for them to begin to get use to each other. I can be done though!

OP
OP
V

visari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2609.png

My maroon clown shaking his tail blowing sand everywhere. So today I put in a damsel and a royal gramma. The maroon and damsel swim together like their best buddies, it’s so adorable. I seem the gramma in her hiding spot but won’t come out just yet. Either this is the nicest maroon ever or people are over exaggerating on how aggressive maroons truely are. Idk but I’m extremely happy that it has gone great so far.

dthom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome! It looks like your maroon is still pretty small. Probably a male as well, but can't really know right now. Once it is for sure a female and passes the 4 to 5 inch mark you might begin to see why they have that reputation. They are awesome though and every fish can have their own personality! Hopefully it stays very sweet

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2484.jpeg
Get one significantly smaller than yours and you have a shot. I paired a large maroon female with a small gold nugget. Gold nugget was the size of a nickel when I got him. Kept him in an acclimation box for about 2 weeks where she could see him and get used to him. I released him and there was some chasing but not much. Took about 3 months for them to fully bond. She wouldnt share her anemone with him for a while but then let him share with her and have bonded.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpeg
    IMG_3882.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 0490F1E9-2801-496B-BB3C-26966AD21088.jpeg
    0490F1E9-2801-496B-BB3C-26966AD21088.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 12
  • EC386D39-19B3-4F63-8868-C1C23F026868.jpeg
    EC386D39-19B3-4F63-8868-C1C23F026868.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 13

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to keep in mind is they are more aggressive than regular clownfish and females can get about 6 inches full grown!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back