240G Aquarium on Main Floor

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I'm new here and just wanted to check in for some opinions. I bought a 240g aquarium and built a stand (wip) for it. But with the tank, stand, and everything else I'm looking at about 3,000lbs of weight.

I'm putting the tank in the living room against a load bearing wall and perpendicular with the 2x8 support beams. The stand is 10ft x 27.5" w.

I am putting supports under the floor in the basement which is unfinished. But I want to double check what I am doing is correct.

Screenshot_20221125-165232_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 180 gallons in my 11x14 living room and a 150 gallon in the adjoining dining room for years all at the same time. House total is only 1100 square feet to give an idea how close they were. I added 2 pole jacks with 4x4 beam spanning 3 floor joist and thats it. The floors never sagged as none of the tanks went out of level. I think people under estimate how much weight a floor can handle. My budget would never permit hiring a structural engineer but if you can swing it that would be safest.

EDIT : took another look at your image and I think that support system would be more than adequate, especially considering your next to a concrete wall. Oh and welcome aboard!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two 180 gallons in my 11x14 living room and a 150 gallon in the adjoining dining room for years all at the same time. House total is only 1100 square feet to give an idea how close they were. I added 2 pole jacks with 4x4 beam spanning 3 floor joist and thats it. The floors never sagged as none of the tanks went out of level. I think people under estimate how much weight a floor can handle. My budget would never permit hiring a structural engineer but if you can swing it that would be safest.

EDIT : took another look at your image and I think that support system would be more than adequate, especially considering your next to a concrete wall. Oh and welcome aboard!
Thanks for the reply! Makes me feel alot better. I cannot afford hiring someone. The posts I have are actually rated for 11,800lbs and I'm going to sister the joints as well.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 240G, now I’m trying to figure out if my house will collapse and it will probably costs $30k in equipment and stocking but I can’t have loads looked at properly because that costs too much. Did I get that right? Something seems out of order with these steps ;)

If you want to be super duper safe, I guess add a steel I-beam instead of a wood 6x6 but don’t think either are actually needed.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 210g on the main floor, near a steel beam and perpendicular to the floor boards. We consulted the builder (as we built the house) about the need for supports in the basement for the tank weight. We got it will be fine as it is almost over the steel beam and the floor beams were strong for that weight load.
Very happy we had to add no support in basement. Although it was also unfinished and we were willing to do so.

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 240G, now I’m trying to figure out if my house will collapse and it will probably costs $30k in equipment and stocking but I can’t have loads looked at properly because that costs too much. Did I get that right? Something seems out of order with these steps ;)

If you want to be super duper safe, I guess add a steel I-beam instead of a wood 6x6 but don’t think either are actually needed.
Steel beam is a great idea as I haven't bought the 6x6 yet, but I already have everything else. But I get your point aha

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I'm new here and just wanted to check in for some opinions. I bought a 240g aquarium and built a stand (wip) for it. But with the tank, stand, and everything else I'm looking at about 3,000lbs of weight.

I'm putting the tank in the living room against a load bearing wall and perpendicular with the 2x8 support beams. The stand is 10ft x 27.5" w.

I am putting supports under the floor in the basement which is unfinished. But I want to double check what I am doing is correct.

Screenshot_20221125-165232_Gallery.jpg
save yourself the money and get some posts under the floor in that area as you stated. all new construction is built for live loads of thousands of pounds. I'd ensure your joists are all nailed off with proper hangers. post at the corners of the tank.

this load obviously isn't live, so posts are recommended, but in reality the floor should be able to hold it. posts are for longevity and peace of mind. also so you don't get sag over time.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steel beam is a great idea as I haven't bought the 6x6 yet, but I already have everything else. But I get your point aha
I was joking a bit but I do wonder what the deflection is on a 6x6 piece of wood vs a 2x6 oriented properly or better yet 2-3 2x6s oriented properly and secured together.

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was joking a bit but I do wonder what the deflection is on a 6x6 piece of wood vs a 2x6 oriented properly or better yet 2-3 2x6s oriented properly and secured together.
Yeah I know but I thought I may save a bit of money with a beam, at least where I live lumber is brutally expensive. I was wrong though. Wood is still cheaper lol.

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
save yourself the money and get some posts under the floor in that area as you stated. all new construction is built for live loads of thousands of pounds. I'd ensure your joists are all nailed off with proper hangers. post at the corners of the tank.

this load obviously isn't live, so posts are recommended, but in reality the floor should be able to hold it. posts are for longevity and peace of mind. also so you don't get sag over time.
I may switch to a 4x4x10 for the beam, since I actually have one already and save money like you stated. That way I'm using everything I already have :)

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Makes me feel alot better. I cannot afford hiring someone. The posts I have are actually rated for 11,800lbs and I'm going to sister the joints as well.
Your welcome. IMO people tend to way over think things sometimes. I've seen people build stands that will support a 10klb truck. Better safe than sorry I guess but sometime too much is over board. I wouldn't bother with a steel beam. To be honest I would use the 4x4 that you already have and 3 pole jacks total with no 4x4s. I'll add some images just to give you an idea how much weight was on my floor for 6 years. The missing 180 was next to the beam in the center of the house so I did not reinforce that area at all. I put two pole jacks with a made beam that only spanned 3 floor joist, 1 under the missing 150 and one under the current 180.
Tanks current and no longer here.
20221126_113247.jpg

Pole jacks
20221126_113406.jpg

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may switch to a 4x4x10 for the beam, since I actually have one already and save money like you stated. That way I'm using everything I already have :)
you'll only need posts at the corner. the extra middle posts won't really be doing much holding of the weight if you plan on doing a beam in addition. the beam transfers the weight to the outside posts. if a beam can hold up your house it can hold up the aquarium without the extra posts.

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll only need posts at the corner. the extra middle posts won't really be doing much holding of the weight if you plan on doing a beam in addition. the beam transfers the weight to the outside posts. if a beam can hold up your house it can hold up the aquarium without the extra posts.
I actually thought this, but wasn't 100% sure! Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back